M1915 enlisted feldgrau Hussar

KAGGR#1

I would like to hear from members who have in their collection M1915 enlisted Feldgrau Hussar
I know via his site that Tony S. has a great H R 16
When I started to collect circa 1970
I would see them offered
I bought one back then .The asking price was $170 .The seller offered me a discount deal
at $ 155. Somewhere along the way I sold it .See attached photo from the 1970's
Now I would like to get one back for the collection
I heard there were 2 sold at the S O S 2024 , but I was not there .
I think one sold for $ 2,100 ?
where are they all now ?
P S that was the way of selling & buying in those days
a photo via mail and a phone to try and buy it !
Thanks
SteveM1915 H R 1970.jpg

Mine is ok...for now...the Pelzmütze.. I need to renew the anti-moth paper on the shelves.

No I didn't buy the 2 as I already have and was also thinking of selling off my hussars. I hate to see them loosing their hair as I am already loosing mine lol

Ha! I had the same problem. I'm not fond of horses so generally avoid cavalry helmets. But, I was at a show years ago and picked up a beautiful enlisted man's busby. It was only the shell, missing all it's other parts except the cords, but it was regimentally marked and in magnificent condition with 100% of its hair. And, the price was so low - and I mean really low - I couldn't leave it there.

I brought it home, and gradually completed it. It sat on the shelf with the other headgear. Over time, I started to notice little hairs on the shelf around it. Every time I cleaned them, more would appear. It drove me crazy. Even though there was no noticeable change in the busby's appearance, it was deteriorating before my eyes. I finally couldn't stand it and let it go.

They are incredibly fragile pieces of headgear.

Ha! I had the same problem. I'm not fond of horses so generally avoid cavalry helmets. But, I was at a show years ago and picked up a beautiful enlisted man's busby. It was only the shell, missing all it's other parts except the cords, but it was regimentally marked and in magnificent condition with 100% of its hair. And, the price was so low - and I mean really low - I couldn't leave it there.

I brought it home, and gradually completed it. It sat on the shelf with the other headgear. Over time, I started to notice little hairs on the shelf around it. Every time I cleaned them, more would appear. It drove me crazy. Even though there was no noticeable change in the busby's appearance, it was deteriorating before my eyes. I finally couldn't stand it and let it go.

Did you take a photo of it ?
If so , please post
Thanks
Steve

Sorry, but this is nothing!

That’s my M 1868 Bavarian Landwehr helmet.

The Telly Savalas of Raupenhelme.

Untouched but “un-haired” 😃

Best wishes

GardeUlan

Attachments

• 0DD4347C-913A-453B-B43E-D16377C31DDA.jpeg
    0DD4347C-913A-453B-B43E-D16377C31DDA.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 71B3E301-00B7-46A5-B7F7-2D4A716CF015.jpeg
    71B3E301-00B7-46A5-B7F7-2D4A716CF015.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Sorry, but this is nothing!

That’s my M 1868 Bavarian Landwehr helmet.

The Telly Savalas of Raupenhelme.

Untouched but “un-haired” 😃

Best wishes

GardeUlan

Hard to believe that was once beautiful bear skin it looks like roadkill after the vultures. I would never have guessed it would have been made up of so many thin strips sewn together. I remember this one on Ebayde.

I do think if you took this one to a taxidermist during Blackbear season, he may be able to make you something that could restore this one to its former glory since he can easily see the technique used. Sadly, the odds of finding an original Bearskin Raup are 1 in a billion.

As Sander stated, hair loss on busbies does not show at my place, as they (2) are placed on glass shelves it should be readily apparent, ( the fact that they are protected from direct sunlight, behind glass in a living room that is moderately heated might help?) the third busby in our weekend home has bald spots, from the moment I bought it, seems stable condition…

Attachments

• IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8759.jpeg
    IMG_8759.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22

Otto that is the near-mint Pelzmtüze I obtained from you. You drove it up to NB on a visit. Special delivery.

Wonderful example once Cypher and bits were added. As you said no missing hair. Thank you very much again for that.

Yes Tony, a memorable visit, for which I thank you. What an experience! Although sometimes I don't think I have ever recovered from the beer I drank.

Back