M1915 - saltier than the Dead Sea

Jaap Verduijn

What do you guys/gals think about this one? An M1915 which looks like it has a combination of brass and oxydized steel hardware. Thirty years ago I wouldn't have touched the bloody thing with a ten feet pole - but those golden times have been carried away on the sad winds of change and this might be the beginning of a small, third and final collection that, although of less quality, can still satisfy an old man's shamefully perverse but irrepressible longing for Pickelhaubes :D

At the moment it's at EUR 131.00 (about US $152) which may come close to what the apparently original chinstrap might be worth all by itself. The Kokarden are lacking, which should be reflected in the price and I don't mind adding a couple of fake ones. Actually, apart from the odd but not unheard of combination of brass and steel plus the tear-jerking condition (among other things it looks like somebody has been shooting a BB-gun at it), I can't really find anything wrong with this specimen - at least not via the pictures. Pity I can't read the faint stamp on the back visor.

It's got eight days to go - unless the more knowledgeable and up-to-date members of this group completely shoot down my impression of this being a mainly or even wholly original specimen, I might be willing to go up to EUR 250.

Whaddayareckon?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/militaria-uniforme-ancien-casque-a-pointe-guerre-14-18/182891518195

She is a bit salty alright.

With 8 days left there is a lot of bidding on it.

To restart a collection ( for the 3rd time ) this could be the helm for you .

Except getting that ding out of the spike this could dress up well.

That ding will be vexing.

Good luck.

Hoi Jaap,

Could be ok, but personally I never like brass mixed with steel (I'll make an exception for grommets only), other than that I see nothing wrong. If the chinstrap is considered original then the price will probably go up more.

The mark I make out to be *.A.18, probably (K)B.A.18, Bekleidungsamt for the XVIII Armeekorps.

Lars

Thanks guys! Indeed the combination of brass and steel is slightly worrisome, but considering that during the dying days of the Pickelhaube just about everything was used that the quartermaster could scrape together, it just might be genuine - if the price doesn't go up too much (!!!) it will probably not be a deal breaker for me.

The spike needs some tender loving care indeed, and "vexing" might be the understatement of the year (grin)!

Lars, your eyes are sharper than mine, and I think you are right: B.A.18 it probably is!

I will watch events unfold, and keep y'all posted. Cheers!

I see a very desirable battlefield pick-up with clear shrapnel damage.

Other than forming it a bit to stabilize the shape, in my opinion that is very collectible and displayable as is.

"(...) I see a very desirable battlefield pick-up with clear shrapnel damage (...)"

I was wondering about that, Tony. Still a bit on the fence, I am. Shrapnel damage is a distinct possibility (I would like it to be!), but on the other hand the small holes could be the result of the farmer's son having practiced with his air rifle before going out pestering the pigs and scaring the chickens.

I am leaning towards a battlefield find though. The piece of wire at the bottom of the back spine suggests that it has been hanging on a wall for a very long time - something highly unlikely among collectors, but not weird at all for a battlefield picker-upper who wants to exhibit his find.

Putting it back into shape shouldn't be too much of a chore, and indeed... come to think if it, messing too much in order to "improve" this find would be kind of denying and covering up its history.

Cheers!

A true survivor Jaap....just like yourself! The helmet has obviously been subjected to humid conditions and a lot of stress but still a great piece. I vote along with Tony for shrapnel....pellet has a round head, those holes have been made by pointy metal shards.

I have made the proud decision to agree with you guys :D ! The argument about this specific kind of holes makes sense, so shrapnel damage it is! A bloody good piece - I'm really wondering how much it will suddenly go up in the final few days or hours!

I have a former student with a beautiful mixed brass / steel 'haube and I wish I could talk her out of it. However, this one is certainly crying out for some tender loving care (especially that shrunken front visor) and I think a member of this forum would be a good choice for a new owner. This one would be fun to restore without over-restoring it so that it keeps that 'been there, done that' feeling. Tony had a good eye picking out the damage from shrapnel, rather than some moron with an awl and length of wire to hang it on the wall.

:D Ron

A very nice piece of history with probably a great story attached to it :D

Best regards,

Edwin

I am letting it go. With less than 5 minutes to go it's at Euro 223 (about 262 $), which is a steal. But I have my first Pickelhaube already now - if I didn't have that one since two days I would have gone for this salty one!

Ah, it's up to 242 euros now, that's $285 (grin)! The last minute bidding has started. Oh dear, 250 euros now! Ik hope it goes to a good home!

252 euros - that would have been avbove my max anyway.

And there it went: EUR 370.99 or approximately US $437.10! Far, far above my meager means, but for the winner still a very good buy!

Doesn't matter: I have my first specimen for my third collection already, thanks to Coert and my old Adrian! So I'm happy anyway :D :thumb up:

Jaap Verduijn said:
And there it went: EUR 370.99 or approximately US $437.10! Far, far above my meager means, but for the winner still a very good buy!

Doesn't matter: I have my first specimen for my third collection already, thanks to Coert and my old Adrian! So I'm happy anyway :D :thumb up:

When I bid on ebay, I just put in my max and let it ride. If I get a deal, fine. If I'm outbid (90% of the time), that's fine too.

I agree. I hope somebody with some brains and skills got it, otherwise it might go the way of a military vehicle, an idiot and a welding rig all coming together at once.

:D Ron

Back