M1917 rifle grenade and cup

Gustaf

Staff member
These were found on ebay recently for a very reasonable price, they are relics, but I have never seen an M17 cup that was not, and I can not remember when the last time was when an M17 rifle grenade that was not dug was available. These were a copy of the French VB rifle grenade.

Khukri said:
Do you have some pics of these in "action"?
Great find.
Francis
No I don't have any period photos, I have not seen any either. Even VB grenade photos are not common. I think it is because these were cutting edge technology, and they did not want any photos taken because it could be used to study the use of these grenades.

Nice and rare cup :thumb up: pictures of it in action are indeed very rare but i have one for you hope you like it.

2e3sqgw_zpsspnjytmu.jpg

20sgd21_zpslbrgycds.jpg

You bet we do like it
great opportunity seeing one used in actoin
how many soldiers where equipt with sutch grenade thrower
did every one get one of these or just a few within there regiment

Jonas

Did somebody ask for period pictures?
Not the same grenade but we can see the different attempts to deliver the parcel …. :-"

I dug one up myself at Nieuwpoort beach.

Westfront said:
Nice and rare cup :thumb up: pictures of it in action are indeed very rare but i have one for you hope you like it.
Could I copy please that image and print it to use in a display with the grenade and cup?
Best
Gus

Great pics !
Nieuwpoort Plage Ed...
I was stationed there 1991-2012!
Loads of stuff there. Dec 1914 till spring 1915 fierce fighting between German and French troops!
In spring 1915 the Germans used a remote controled boat packed with explosives to destroy the Nieuwpoort pier. The French had positioned observers on the head of the construction. This position enabled them to look behind German lines. The utmost Western position of the German right wing.
111pd3a.jpg

Operaton Strandfest . The Germans realy beat up the British then.
First use of mustard agent ! Two days before the use of this weapon in.....Ieper/Ypres! Yperite....
First use of CAS by the German forces: Close Air Support. Combined Ops of ground troops, artillery and aircraft.Keep in mind that artillery is in fact a user of the Airspace as well !!!
Aussie tunnelers attempted to tunnel in the fine sand to blow up some important positions on the the top of the Höhe 17 dune.They had to give up.
Not much shifting of the lines in this sector during the war.
Francis

Back