M71 Reserve wappen for review

The claw and the orb got a kick and was torn off and bend down.
It's still there. Great.
Francis

Welcome to the forum Luft. That is a very nice wappen. I have never seen loops soldered on like that...one up and the other down. Obviously though, that is original solder so that's the way they chose to put them on. :thumb up:

b.loree said:
Welcome to the forum Luft. That is a very nice wappen. I have never seen loops soldered on like that...one up and the other down. Obviously though, that is original solder so that's the way they chose to put them on. :thumb up:

Yes, welcome! James, they look bent up and down to me... or am I seeing things?

:D Ron

thank you. yes, it is an M95 with the wings and legs cut, my mistake. i believe that's the way the loops were soldered on, perhaps with the purpose of having the wappen stay secured to the haube in addition to the leather tabs in loops. it makes for a tighter fit. just a little German engineering... :)

I would guess that the helmet shell this one was on had its grommets placed slightly off line, so the loops had to be bent to compensate, since this would cause the plate to 'tilt' on the helmet being bent like this. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

:D Ron

I agree Luft...German Engineering, someone was thinking outside the box (not following the usual method). It would make for a tighter fit on the helme.

Here is some useless trivia. For the enlisted soldiers there was no such thing as a reserve Wappen. While they are distinct for officers, Landwehr and reserve OR are the same in Prussia.

Back