M95 prussian Mannschaftshaube, classic and light salty

argonne

Hi fellow collectors,
this is my last one that I bought for a few weeks from Mr Sergio Semino in Frankfurt. He just had it new in his online shop.(my first deal with this smart dealer/collector).
Not a scarce helmet at all, but some helmets for any strange reasons when you are looking at them, sometimes whisper gently: " hey, come on, I´m so alone...Please buy me..." :crybaby: Well, I did it :nike:
This Haube has originally been issued before the war at the JR148, the 5th west prussian Infantery Regiment wich was in garrison at Bromberg und Braunsberg.
During the war, it has then been re-issued two times at the same Landwehr Infanterie Regiment, the LJR99 / BAXV ( with garrisons in Straßburg, Zabern, Schlettstadt, Neubreisach), the first time at the second Bataillon and the second time at the Kammer of the Regiment.
(Joe, just feel free to add the JR148 and LJR99 markings to your regimental markings list!! :D ). The LJR 99 principally fought in Alsace, at the Hartmannsweilerkopf (french: Vieil-Armand).
The original(no double holes) wappenplate to this helmet has still a lot of its gilt. Also nicely sized 55 1/4 on the rear visor and "MAURY" maker mark between the grommets.
It just displays well on my board with its smooth shining, creating a nice contrast with the grey M15 Pickelhauben at its side. :happy6:
Enjoy it!
Philippe :salute:
jr1482.jpg
[/url]
[/img]
jr1484.jpg
[/url]
[/img]
jr1486.jpg
[/url]

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/jr14810.jpg/]
jr14810.jpg
[/URL]

Great haube! Great find! I see what you mean and why you bought it. It has alot of character, all the markings really tell the story of its long journey through history. I'm glad you rescued it.
In my opinion all pickelhaubes are scarce, ... some just more than others :D

Well done Philippe, that is a classic helme. I always love when they have lots of markings to tell the tale!

Thank you all for your feedback! :notworthy:
Yes indeed, in my opinion, the biggest thing in collecting headgear ist not the only pleasure to possess beautiful helmets in very good shape.
The very greatest thing is the Big Luck to acquire a very small piece of real History. It´s also the best way to honor the man (or men) who wore it and suffered "under" it.
Also the most attractive helmet is only like a body without a "soul" if it can´t give us the possibility to understand its own history and sometimes some small clues about the history of the wearer.
That´s why I really prefer such classic helmets with "wrinkles" on their "forehead"!
Markings and stamps are such wrinkles and precious "history guides" which are giving us the ability to investigate in the historical past and to understand it!

Hi Phillipe, while yours is from the 5th.W.Prussian, here's an M95 that I have from the 4th.West Prussian Infantry regiment. No stamps that are very visible anymore but the remnants of a label with the wearer's name and Rgt. It's in very good nick and is all original apart from the repro chinstrap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Michael, that´s a very fine piece worn by a Musketier of the Bataillon II from the neighbour Regiment JR140 aus Hohensalza!! =D> I particularly like the helmets with such owner labels, because of the lot of informations they are giving, but they are unfortunately very hard to find...and so much are also fakes... But I really appreciate yours!
It remains a big dream for me to find sometime such a good named helmet and to read and learn something about the owner in the chronical history of the regiment. Till today I only have two named Helmet (with pencil), one from the JR 81 and one from the JR30. After reading both Regiment histories (in gothic writing), I did not have the luck to see the names mentioned... But I am still hoping!!! Such regimental chroniques are always full with anecdotes about simple german soldiers wich are mentioned, because for example, they were especially bravorous by conquesting an enemy trench, a machine gun, or capturing a few ennemies, or rescuing their "Kompanie-Führer",or getting the iron cross, and so on,and so on...
Hope is dying at last....

Lost Skeleton said:
OVA(DEY)!

That's typical......any possibility of 'crowbar-ing' or 'shoe-horning' a "Ghoul" reference into a topic and you're there aren't you?

I might have known this would happen.....who do you think you are - 'Cocotone'?

Back