M95 Train Battalion enlisted Vulcan Fiber Helmet with chinscales & stitched visors

ww1czechlegion

This helmet is the first type like this that I have ever seen. An Enlisted Pattern vulcan fiber helmet body with stitched visors, instead of the typical helmet type we see having riveted visors. And a first for me to see with chin scales attached with rosettes, instead of the typical M95 side posts for use with a leather chinstrap. It appears that the visors may be vulcan fiber as well, and they appear thinner, similar to the ones on the riveted visor version helmets we normally see.

I just purchased this helmet and do not have it in my hands yet. The photos are from the seller. I do not think there is any "Depaheg Patent" mark on the enlisted pattern leather liner, but I cannot fully see a good view yet of the sides of the leather liner to check if there is any maker mark or not.

I am glad that I have some spare brass split brad retainers to replace the 2-missing ones on the spike base. It looks like someone may have turned the spike the wrong way when placing it on the helmet shell, as the vent holes are not placed correctly. The Kokardes are also switched to the wrong sides on the helmet.

Best Wishes

Alan

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 1.jpg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 8.jpeg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 10.jpeg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 3.jpeg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 4.jpeg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 7.jpeg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 11.jpeg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 12.jpg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 6.jpg

a vulcan fiber enlisted helmet 9.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Nice helmet in vulkanfiber. Same remark as for the "Pioneer". Domed chinstrap does not fit. You need an M91 leather chinstrap... In addition the rosettes are flat so for the flat scales.
It is unlikely that this helmet delivered new in 14 by a supplier-manufacturer was "reassembled" by a B.A. with drawer bottom fittings.

Hello,

Nice helmet in vulkanfiber. Same remark as for the "Pioneer". Domed chinstrap does not fit. You need an M91 leather chinstrap... In addition the rosettes are flat so for the flat scales.
It is unlikely that this helmet delivered new in 14 by a supplier-manufacturer was "reassembled" by a B.A. with drawer bottom fittings.
Hi Clovis,

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it.

Why M91 and not M95 chin strap attachment fittings? These Vulcan Fiber helmets didn't exist before 1900, I can only imagine? Does anyone here know a time date of when the first vulcan fiber body helmets were manufactured?

Yes, I understand what you and others are saying about the size of the chin scales being too big (they are likely cavalry chin scales as you and others have said on the Pioneer helmet and this helmet).

So why not put on a pair of proper sized curved chinscales with proper size rosettes for the later time period closer to 1914/1915, instead of a leather chinstrap? What if the helmet was actually configured for chin scales to wear for garrison and parade duty? We will not know this for certainty until I have it in hand to examine it and take my own photos of the helmet to discover any evidence that none of us can see at this moment when I only have the auction house photos available to view and post here.

What if there are no holes the size of an M95 chinstrap mount lug, and the holes are actually meant for a rosette? Neither you nor myself know for sure what should be on this helmet until I have it in hand. Apparently I made the pure mistake of posting these photos before I have the 2-helmets in person, "in-hand" at my residence in order to examine if what is underneath the inside of the liner is actually set up with a hole for attaching an M95 chinstrap lug, or if it is actually set up for a rosette mount. Neither of us will know this for certain until I can examine it in person once I receive the helmet, and I will show photos of the chin scale set and rosettes removed from the helmet. Then we will be able to actually determine what should go on the helmet. Correct? I hope this makes sense to say this, because it seems logical to me that I will need to wait to have the helmet in hand in order to see if it is actually set up to take a pair of M95 chin strap attachment devices.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Best Wishes,

Alan

I received the 2 Vulcan Fiber enlisted helmets on Monday the 17th.

Both helmets have the "Depaheg Patent" mark on the leather liner.

And here is the best surprise that I found in both of the helmets:

101_7327.JPG

101_7328.JPG

101_7330.JPG

101_7331.JPG

The Depaheg Patent maker logo is not the same that we see on the Officer Helmets that have the Brandenburg Gate emblem with the Quadriga. I am not certain what the design is on this logo emblem. It appears to have an eagle located at the top of the emblem, directly under the arc of the "Depaheg Patent".

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back