Magdeburg Arty Felt

pickelhauben

Hey Guys I just got this in and with a little help this will turn out to be a great felt.
I purchase it from AOK and it has grey furniture and is well marked.
When I got it in I soon realized that the furniture is actually painted brass.
It is original to the era and the paint shows age cracking and it looks like they either used sand or sawdust in the paint.
The metal parts had a salty look to them and I LIGHTY scrubbed them with some dish soap liquid and a soft tooth brush.
The septor was missing and the ball base was bent and cracked and there were some black and rust smears that I had to go deep with sandpaper to get them out.

Last edited:
Before

After

Before

After

Wappen before and after

I went heavy with the first coat of paint and as it was drying I came back with a stiff bristle brush and stipled it to match the original then layered with corresponding paints to match the original.
I am not sure if they used sand or sawdust in the original painting.

Here is the repaired ball base .
The ball is static.

Last edited:
Thanks guys it means a lot.
After scrutinizing the ball for a while it seams that perhaps it may have taken a bullet hit that put a deep ding on one side and split the opposite side with aprx a 1/4 inch vertical split.
That is probably what made the base crack.
The base crack had to be fixed because the piece that was cracked was in danger of falling off.
I was going to fill in the ding before I deducted that it took a hit.
What do you guys think bullet impact or hitting something when dropped ?
If it is a bullet impact I will keep it as is.
If it is an impact when dropped I will fill it.

It kind of reminds me of the shrapnel hole / dent in my Bavarian that I covered in this post.

Thanks again to Coert for the shrapnel.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Back