Major Extension of the Route des Crêtes – Sudelkopf Photo Im

Major Extension of the Route des Crêtes – Sudelkopf Photo Impression!

2s664ug.jpg

Last spring a good pen friend of La Bresse, Vosges, an expert on historic French railways, send me some rare and very interesting period photos of the Alaska Sled Dogs at le Collet and of the Hohneck Tramway. Later he provided me also with background information about the Hohneck Tramway.
It inspired me to visit the locations of these period photos and to extend this already existing Vosges photo impression.

Route description.

We follow the Route des Crêtes, (Road of the Ridges), D 430, southward, from the Col de la Schlucht until the Markstein.
After a short visit to the touristic Col de la Schlucht, we make a detour of only 2 km. to visit le Collet. From there we continue our route over the Road of the Ridges to the summit of the Honeck with its wide panorama over this front sector. Then we continue southward to the Markstein. From the Markstein, where the Route des Crêtes changes to the D 431, we visit the summit of the Grand Ballon, the Memorial Chapel at le Sudel, and the memorial to Capitaine Amic, then make a detour to some concrete relics of the German positions on the slopes of the Sudel (Sudelkopf) to finish our route at the Riesenkopf.

In between you will find some frames with illustrated background information about the amazing story of the import of Alaska sled dogs and their deployment at the Vosges front, and about the military significance of the Honeck Tramway.

In this major extension you will find more rare period photos than before, new maps and satellite views, my modern 360 degrees panoramic views from the Hohneck over the former front line, and a handful of “new” German bunkers on the Sudelkopf.

Pierre’s Photo Impressions running for the History Online Public Award 2012.

Recently “Pierre’s Western Front” has been nominated for the online contest for the Dutch public History Online Award 2012, “de Geschiedenis Online Prijs 2012”, organised by the Dutch website, “Geschiedenis Online”, History Online.

Yes, you are right, this the second year that someone, without my knowledge, registered our website for this contest!

Although I have again no great expectations at all about the results, my dear Guests, the benefit of your support during this contest, as the results of last year did prove, will attract more visitors to the website than before. As you know, I am not in for the money, but I am only in for higher visitor numbers and most of all for reactions.
Last year Pierre’s website got 73 votes and it finished on the 67th position out of a couple of hundred Dutch history related websites. Not bad at all! More important: I received 54 (sometimes moving) reactions, which I saved and published again on “Pierre’s”. These reactions are to be read again (also yours) on the website via http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/content/2008/02/suggestions-of-visitors-reactions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

The voting period for this competition will last until 1 February 2013. Thank you in advance for your support and your vote for this contest, my Friends!

For now: I hope that you will appreciate my Major Extension of the Route des Crêtes – Sudelkopf Photo Impression. Thank you in advance for visiting my website again!

Happy Holidays!
with regards, Pierre Grande Guerre

Back