makers mark ?

Kevin V

Hi Guys,
I know the picture is not that great, but any ideas on this makers mark? I do not have the helmet in hand yet.
Regards,
Kevin
pivture618.jpg

Hi Kevin:

Welcome! That particular stamp is one we've ruminated over in the following thread:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=931&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You will find the stamp toward the bottom of the page and Joe has provided several photos. Thus far, it has eluded identification. Perhaps, when your helmet arrives, we'll be able to solve the riddle.

Best regards,

Chas.

Hi Chas.
yes, your right, It sure looks the same. When mine comes, I'll take better photos and post them, stamp looks a little clearer on the helmet that is coming.
Thanks,
Kevin

Hey Kevin,
It will be great if your stamp is clearer, as one of the examples is from one of my helmets and I have puzzeled over the stamp for close to 40 years.
Gus

Hi Gus,
well the helmet went out priority mail today, so I should have it in 2-3 days, hopefully, I'll be able to decipher the stamp, I'll try my best.
Regards,
Kevin

Hey kevin,
As you are a new member, Is this your first Helm? Is it a Prussian M1915? These are the most common, but I find them to be the most interesting, as they represent so many lives that were lost. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting.
Gus

Hi Gus,

Actually, I collected going on 39 years, I've always collected WWII German militaria, I've had a few Picklehaube over the years, but traded them off. I just could not let this one go. I really like the look, I've always been the one for the salty items, with the been there look. It will look great in the display case with some of my WWII German visors.
Regards,
Kevin

Hi Guys,
well, I got the helmet, and sorry to say, the stamp is not that great, all I've made out in the circular stamp is (Riemenfabrik) (AKT.) (Ges) 1913 dated and Neu-Isenburg, I'm still working on it, to the left of that stamp is a blurred name and what looks like (Donau) and 125, inside on the back visor I see a stamp on the left side of a box that has AK31 in it then the date 1916 and BJAXVIII stamped into leather with the Roman numeral I. was this a depot worked helmet?
Regards,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin that fills in a lot of holes!
The clue "Riemenfabrik" makes a lot of sense as it means leather factory or belt factory. The word before that I think is Barberei. While that word looks familiar I certainly cannot place it perhaps someone else can help?
I have no idea at all what the first word is.
red%20letters.jpg

BJAXVIII indicates that the helmet was repaired by the repair shop of Army Corps XVIII. It is very possible the helmet was issued to unit A and then re-issued after the repair to another unit. The other marks are more difficult to explain without seeing them. The I is probably a garniture mark.

Perhaps some collector of leather items has seen this Mark on other items?

Back