March Haube: Wurttemberg M15

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am a bit late on this months posting of one of pieces from my collection but here goes anyway. This is one of the hardest M15's ( Infantry) to get as far as my experience goes and Tony will attest to this as it took him a long time to find one as well. The most common M15s are the Prussian, Bavarian, Saxon and Baden helmets. The Wurttemburg and Hesen M15's are probably next in rarity followed by the ultra rare which in my opinion would be helmets with Bandeau wappen and the Brunswick, Saxon Dutchy helmets like JR92, 93 etc. I have seen M15 leather Prussian and Bavarian dragoon style helmets at shows (none were complete) and of course many Kurassier and JzuP steel helmets for sale..very common. Again, I can only speak from my experience and I am restricting this to infantry regiments. I welcome others to share their "hunting" stories for the M15's. Some photos:
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

I bought this helme at the MAX show in Pittsburgh years ago. The chin strap is obviously a repro, kokardes...original It has a makers mark stamp on the inside of the rear visor: J G Lieb Biberach. The spike as mentioned before, is an example of a grey metal M95 spike with non removable top.

Great looking helmet Brian.

I did not know that this state was so rare. Makes sense though.

I am glad to see that someone else uses repro straps on helmets like I do when I can't find the original. I use them as "place holders" while I look for good ones. I have never had any issues with buying helmet that are missing parts as I have a lot of fun finding the original pieces and putting them back together. Plus those types of helmets are usually cheap!

I'm going to look through my pile over the next couple of days and pull out some straps to add to your thread on leather chin straps. I think that would be a great subject to learn about and I look forward to reading more on the subject.

Hey Gus! Send me an email. I found that 1897 16 hole heat shield for you.

S/F

Bryan.

Back