MAX 2006

Joe--
I heard the same thing about the size. I also noticed that normally when it is a good show photos are up by Friday. No one rushed to get up the photos, but GMIC has a few now:
http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11615

What I noticed is that you can see the walls in every photo! I'm not joking either. At SOS you almost feel like the tables go on and on and on... forever. Here the show feels small.

Last MAX I did was 2003. I won't go back unless I can get there by car in two hours or less, and that is unlikely to happen.

WAF had some nice pictures and trip reports that seemed more upbeat. The pickelhaube Meck collection was in full flower. I am hopefull that the

MAX makes a better showing but at 1000 tables Vs 1600 and lines of people it still seems SOS will be better supported. Always room for a well run second.

Friends:

After the show closed at 5:00 PM Saturday, I was waiting outside for Donna to pick me up (she spent the day at the University of Indiana in Bloomington). I began speaking with a gentleman who was waiting for the hotel shuttle. He turned out to be the owner of the Mecklenburg display, which consisted of helmets from 1848 through 1918, Schwerin and Strelitz. The sad thing is I never learned his name. Donna arrived curbside before his shuttle and we parted company almost in mid sentence.

While I agree with Peter regarding the scope of the SOS, I can't say the number of tables guarantees a superior show. From a collecting standpoint, I was very disappointed in the SOS. It seems as though every year more and more tables are devoted to spare parts for assault weapons and post 1970 army surplus than anything of interest to me.

I came away from the MAX with an Eisenblech Tschapka, a Juncker made Prussian Beobachterabzeichen, and an U.S. Air Service bullion wing. As is the case with any show, a person's budget, rather than a dearth of temptations, is the real achilles heel.

The inescapable fact is the Internet has become the primary venue for militaria. Shows are a great way to reunite with old friends and make new ones, but they are very much "pot luck" affairs when it comes to treasure hunting.

Chas.

Chas: As an active collector for more than 40 years and a fairly regular attendee/table holder at shows I have to agree completely with your observations. Shows today are primarily social gathering spots rather than places to find quality collectors items.

The internet has definitely become the main venue for buying or selling military collectibles.

Reservist1

One of the best shows I was ever at, had less than 200 tables. Number of tables does not equate to a great show in my experience. In Calgary at the International Gun Show, and Vancouver at the annual Militaria show, and at several of the Canadian Militaria Collectors conventions I have attended, although these were very large shows, one of the highlights was always the displays. Wading through piles of 1970s webbing does nothing for me. But seeing these outstanding collections certainly does. It has always been my experience, that the more specific your collection or want list, then less your chance of finding what you want. Frankly, I don't go to any show expecting to actually find anything. I doubt the fellow who collects Mecklenburg walked away from the MAX with anything but the satisfaction of showing others his fine collection. The social aspect and the displays are the only real draw for me personally.

Lost Skeleton said:
While I agree with Peter regarding the scope of the SOS, I can't say the number of tables guarantees a superior show. From a collecting standpoint, I was very disappointed in the SOS. It seems as though every year more and more tables are devoted to spare parts for assault weapons and post 1970 army surplus than anything of interest to me.

Chas, I do agree with you (and Tony) that a big show doesn't make a great show. I came home with a book and DVD from SOS this year, and was so disappointed with the show I flew home early, could only make it as far as Philadelphia by air and took the train home (spending an extra $70 to get home). :x

But I also think part of the appeal for SOS is the diversity of the show. I heard from Chris Armold (and American helmet collector) that he walked through MAX once this past weekend, was there for an hour and in the car driving home.

And again I agree with Tony about the social aspect. It was nice meeting everyone at SOS this past year. Of course I spent time gabbing and missed a great helmet, but these things happen!

As a general helmet collector from all eras the local show in New Jersey that happens every two months has been a gold mine for me. I found a lot of nice pieces over the years. This is only a 150 table show... I agree more tables doesn't make a good show. But MAX was also always about MORE, and now it seems like it just a smaller Nazi Love Fest (I had to say it).

Peter- off this topic, but I saw your Business week interview and some video of some of your collection. Some very impressive helmets.

Great Job!

James

who's Meck collection is that???
The collection belongs to Phil. He either is or was a member of this forum and sent us wonderful pictures, including one of an 1842 Mecklemburg that had been damaged in shipping. He actually is a big colonial collector and did a colonial display for a previous Max.

James LeBrasseur said:
Peter- off this topic, but I saw your Business week interview and some video of some of your collection. Some very impressive helmets.

Thank you. Of course you know they filmed for 30+ minutes, and used 30 seconds!

A story accompanied that piece and it appeared in the magazine (I didn't write it). I guess the article annoyed some collectors... it said something like "there are kooks who collect Third Reich memorabilia..."

Again... I DIDN'T WRITE IT. But I did laugh! :D

I saw it. You look great, very credible. Great plug for your avatar also. And let's face it, you are a star! Do you get one of those stars on the sidewalk in Hollywood? :?

Back