MAX Show 2014

Peter_Suciu

Anyone going to the MAX this year? I was going to go, but then I read Tom Wittman's comments in Military Trader. First he said, "There is no higher quality, or better run militaria show in the country." I guess I would ask him why he goes to all the OVMS shows then, including SOS? I think 90 percent of the dealers at MAX are also at SOS, so I really do question how he thinks MAX is the higher quality show?

But Wittman's really funny comment was, "(The MAX) is the one place where every one [sic] understands you and your politically incorrect hobby - it ain't politically incorrect at The MAX." The part that is comical to me is that Wittman clearly only things items with a swastika are of value and nothing else really is. Moreover, I guess I for one don't understand how the show can allow anyone to suggest that Rosenberg was "murdered at Nuremburg," as one dealer did in selling a Rosenberg owned copy of "Mein Kampf." Rosenberg was given a trial unlike the millions who died at the hands of the Nazis, and that part isn't the least bit funny.

With that in mind I'm boycotting the MAX. I'm not driving eight hours round trip and giving Wittman $12 to get into what is really just a dying show.

I agree James. Even the smaller OVMS shows are better than the MAX. The one at the end of October is half the size of MAX but twice the show!

Gustaf said:
Peter, I think this is a typo, I do not want to put words in your mouth, but I think you meant to say "Even the smaller OVMS shows are better than max"

You are correct, and it is corrected. I wouldn't want anyone to think I didn't like SOS. It is my favorite week of the year! Yes, even the smaller OVMS shows are better than The MAX. I go it a bit further, the Michigan Antique Arms show is typically (in my opinion) better than The MAX. I also find the small Toronto Show West to be better than The MAX.

J.LeBrasseur said:
Plus I get to drive Joe's van at the SOS and do donuts in the parking lot!

James

The X games are going to video James next year for their show, that is one of the scariest rides I have ever had, with James doing cookies with only a 3 inch round hole scraped in the ice on the wind shield. He claims the donuts were intentional, but from the way he screamed, I really do not think so.

I think we need a bigger garbage can. The empty beer bottles are far too much for the hotel receptacles. and Brian drinks so much! We really need to start a thread on SOS 2015.

The thing that disturbs me the most about the max are "Max certified dealers". This is supposed to mean that they do not sell fakes. However, it seems to me you just buy the moniker. So these unscrupulous people shout the Max certified dealer sign down people's throats – and they prey on the inexperienced. I never thought you made money on business but rather on repeat business. :guns:

Greetings fellow Pickelheads,
I will be @ the Max show Friday morning with my girl-not expecting to come up with much but the sights should be good-only 1 hour away from me-after that off to the NHRA drag races in Reading! King Weasel :D

Though I can't endorse the MAX wholeheartedly, I never come away empty handed. The drive is relatively short for me, and, for three years running, I have scored bigger coups in Monroeville than Louisville. For one thing, the venue size is manageable and I don't get burned out midway through the hunt. This year, I brought back a Braunschweig IR 92 helmet (posted in latest finds), an IR 94 two-piece officer Kokarde, and an Inland Division M1A1 paratrooper carbine. The IR 92 had just re-entered the market having been in a private collection for years, and the UK seller acquired it in trade just prior to the MAX. Had I not seen it there, I know I never would have.

Chas

I have not been to the MAX in years. It was the first US show that I ever attended and of course it impressed me greatly. Perhaps Chas is getting those big scores because the rest of us haubeheads have bailed on the MAX?? I always got hind tit at the US shows because of my previous job (teaching), I could not be there bright and early for the first day. The big guns...Joey, James, Randy, and Tony used to show me their purchases when I arrived. However, the Crazy Canuck will be there on SOS day one this time. In fact, I will cross the border a week before and come up to KY from FLA. Regarding my alcohol consumption: Joey.....remember its a minimum 2 to one ratio.....One Canuck beer equals 2 Yankee brews, so I have to drink double what you guys quaff in order to get a buzz!
SOS....20, 15...yea baby!!

Brian--
I prefer the Toronto Show to MAX. It was a week before MAX last year and I found two great helmets, and it was a week before MAX this year and I found two great helmets! And not so many swastikas!

I made it to SOS, the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, the West Coast Historical Show, the OVMS show in Ohio, three Toronto shows, three Michigan Antique Arms Shows, and numerous local militaria shows as well as a few gun shows. I will still have one more OVMS show and one more Michigan Antique Arms Show and a couple of other local shows. I guess I just don't need the MAX!

PS

Peter, are you coming up for the Show in Oshawa Nov 29? Regarding the CN shows you mentioned, I am not surprised that you found 4 helmets if they were of Brit design/cork. At that Etobicoke show where we missed meeting up this spring, there was one decent Prussian Arty officer helmet for sale and a scrapper M15. I did buy a nice little M15 Jaeger wappen though. So Imperial items are scarce here.

Brian, I can't do the Oshawa show. I'm coming from the west so to get to the east side of Toronto would add too much time. That weekend is also the same as the Michigan Antique Arms Show and I will probably have a table.

This is the weekend after our American Thanksgiving, and that tends to be a good show strangely enough. I think a lot of people had enough of family time by Saturday/Sunday and head to the show!

Back