MAX Show 2016

Peter_Suciu

It isn't Show Of Shows, but is anyone heading to the MAX next week? It was a really good show last year and I have high hopes for this year's show. I'll be set up in the "Action Room" again. I think at $50 a table that is a bargain. There really isn't a bad place to have a table at this show now that OVMS has taken it over. It is really about half the size of SOS but almost as much fun.

MAX has become the only reason I look forward to fall as well! :D

Please give us a report after it is over .
I hear it is mostly a 3rd Reich show
Too far for me unless I would fly

I did go in 2006 when it was in Indy
and that was good show

I went the 2 years it was in Charlotte
That was not a good place for the show I understand
but I had a good show both times

Steve

MAX is evolving. I went from time to time when it was in Monroeville, but didn't make the other locations. I heard Indianapolis was good, but it was downtown and really hard for dealers to move in/out. I didn't make Charlotte, and to be totally blunt I'm happy it isn't there now.

Monroeville is an OK location, apart from the fact that it is a suburb of Pittsburgh and really hard to get around. This is a city where if you make a wrong turn or miss your turn GOOD LUCK! Because of the mountains and rivers you can have a hard time getting back on track. The convention center is also not huge. The show can't really grow like SOS could in Louisville.

That said MAX was never as big as the former promoters claimed it to be. Since OVMS has taken over it is already a better show and I hope it continues to be THE FALL show.

Peter keep us posted, I gave up going to the Max years ago, would love to hear how it goes this year.

James

rskins7125 said:
Does anyone know if CC are accepted by vendors or mostly cash? This is my first show. Thanks.

Most dealers will want cash. Very few will have a way to accept credit cards.

Regarding the MAX, since the OVMS took it over I think it has improved. Last year's show was definitely the best MAX I've been to in at least 10 years. I'm looking forward to a good show.
I'll have a table, please stop by and say hello.
(Unfortunately, I can't accept credit cards, but a good check will work for me.)

rskins7125 said:
Does anyone know if CC are accepted by vendors or mostly cash? This is my first show. Thanks.

Most dealers are private individuals, not big businesses. There are usually ATMs in most venues, but it is best to have the cash in your pocket when you arrive, or the item you want will probably be gone by the time you get back. In this hobby, if you do not have access to the cash, you probably should not be buying.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
Most dealers are private individuals, not big businesses. There are usually ATMs in most venues, but it is best to have the cash in your pocket when you arrive, or the item you want will probably be gone by the time you get back. In this hobby, if you do not have access to the cash, you probably should not be buying.

Very true. I sold an item to a collector at SOS and he had to go to the ATM. There was a line of 10 people as several were from the gun show. I heard that ATM was out of cash each day by 5pm.

Hello

I would love to attend these big US shows one day.
Do you see some good French items from the 19e century there, say 1st Empire headgear for example?

JM

michmuch said:
Do you see some good French items from the 19e century there, say 1st Empire headgear for example?

This is NOT the show for that sort of stuff. You see some of it at Show of Shows, but you really need to go to the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, the New England Antique Arms Show, the Michigan Antique Arms or similar shows. That stuff just isn't in the U.S.A. I don't think many people collected it much.

From what I've read on this site, I think I would rather attend some of those European flee markets (boot sales).

Peter_Suciu said:
michmuch said:

This is NOT the show for that sort of stuff. You see some of it at Show of Shows, but you really need to go to the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, the New England Antique Arms Show, the Michigan Antique Arms or similar shows. That stuff just isn't in the U.S.A. I don't think many people collected it much.

Thanks for the advice
As a matter of fact, there have been, and there are still big French militaria collectors in the US.

JM

There are many French collectors in the USA including myself. But as Peter said, not many things show up at the SOS or Max.

James

Was at the show yesterday. Many 3rd Reich items and WW2 but there was a fair amount of WW1. I saw more Pickelhaubes than I thought I'd see. Was worth the drive for me. =D>

I have a good MAX Show. It isn't and never will be SOS for any number of reasons. I didn't do as well as last year, but I did OK. I had fun and the weather is obviously better than SOS usually.

All in all it was a good show and it has me even more excited about SOS in February.

Does anyone know who was at the show this week selling a book on Pickelhaube Identification and what to look for in an authentic one? His book was $70, was going to go back and get it but ran out of time. It was a binder type. he had the end table second row. if that helps.

Back