Maximilian Wilhem Freiherr Ebner von Eschenbach

joerookery

This is a fun story. I was contacted by the relative of one of the helmets that I own. The helmet is a Bavarian officer that you can see here:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/BavarianM15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glenn had helped me out in determining who this guy was but now we have the rest of the story and some pictures. I am in the process of reuniting the helmet with the family.

t ist the Pickelhaube from my grandgrandfather! The W stands for Wilhelm not for Wolfram. Bis hole name was Maximilian Wilhem Freiherr Ebner von Eschenbach.

my ancestor died in munich on sepsis. After that his son (my grandfather) was getting in trouble, because his mother became ill too. So he went to 1. WW as volunteer and sent money home for the hospice. There are two options how the helmet of his father was lost: 1. they sold it(but my family never did distress sale) 2. he brought his hatitage to his uncle to Castle Eschenbach near to nuernberg.

In the end of Second WW then American soldiers occupied the Castle, lived there several weeks and engrossed all weapons. I suggest one of the soldiers brought the pickelhaube as a souvenir to USA.

Freiherr Ebner -1 by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

Freiherr Ebner -2 by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

Glenn, can you tell us any more information based on the medals?

hey are father and son - the left picture is the father to Wilhelm, called Sigmund (I have some of the original Medals). He was a Colonel and Commander in 1866 and is interred in the tomb of my family in Nuernberg. His first son called Ferdinand died as Second Lt without Children. Maximilian Wilhelm (called Wilhelm) is the Person at the right photo (Your pickelhaube placed on the table). His son Maximilian Ludwig took part in 1. + 2. WW and was involved at Stalingrad as captain - but interesting to You could be another member of my Family: Oberst Hermann Frhr. Ebner von Eschenbach/ Commander Artillerie Regiment at Normandie "Westwall".

Greetings Joe,

just back from a trip to Berlin/Potsdam.

The be-medalled field officer is Oberst Sigmund Frhr. Ebner von Eschenbach (23.2.1824-9.2.1895), commanding 14. Infanterie-Regiment Herzog Carl Theodor at Nürnberg in the late 1870s. The Baron is wearing:

Bavarian Military Merit Order Knight's Cross 1st Class
Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class
Prussian War Commemoration Medal 1870-71
Bavarian Army Commemoration Medal 1866
Officers' Long Service Decoration

He won the first two named decorations for his conduct throughout the war of 1870-71 as the commander of the 3rd battalion of 9. Infanterie-Regiment "Wrede".

Regards
Glenn

Excellent story and mind boggling how the family has identified the helmet. Could you post a couple of pictures of the helmet Joe?

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/BavarianM15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back