mecklemburg fusselier regiment nr 90

kaiser

this helmet is one with some oddley features at first you see a pruisian wappen but it is marked for
FR 90=mecklemburgisches fusselier regiment
it olso has a mark for VII armee korps witch is obviousley a pruisian korps ,after a huge research and conecting some friends the answors came in
this helmet is an all parts helmet that came right out of the factory as it is now,all the parts have a diffrent colour but all is Original to the helmet
you can clearly see double holes to the body if any one has the correct mesurements of the plate (mecklemburg one ) then i check the distance of the previous holes

this is a little theory

at some point in the war the troops from mecklemburg were re grouped with the pruisian troupes so most of them where equiped with either pruisian as well as mecklemburgisches fieldgear becose of shortage of equipment

a friend of mine has found fotos that show soldiers with mixed materials ,this particilar regiment is mentiont in that book (fotobook by johan somers)
unfortianally i do not have those books neither do i have that picture

jonas

A very nice M15 helme Jonas! Is the shell not made of lacquered felt though? Filz shell with leather visors? The colour of the inside of the shell does not match the leather visors.

It is indeed lackered felt , this combination on its own makes it a pretty rare helmet and with the markings in it even more
If you ask me a helmet with some questions

Jonas

Jonas,

About the name in your helmet, the good new ist that it is readable: August Müller.
The bad new is that Müller is a very common german name and there are 1897 mentions about August Müller in the Verlust-Liste.
However, no such name at the FR90 but one at the 10/RJR90 :-k
Seriously wounded, October 1915.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3280874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No possibility to ever know if it was this guy...

Can you please post a bigger pict of the other different word that is written in the shell? I read "Schlafkammer" (sleeping chamber)...Mysterious.....

Philippe
:wink:

Philippe

Thank you for digging in history
I gues that intentionally the helmet whas made for soldier from mecklemburg
It has double holes for the plate so the plate changed from a meckelbourg plate to a pruisian plate

He could be reassigned to a pruisian regiment but a second regiment i did not find in it
The name is written in it 2 times but found three times a 4 in it on what that is refering ,i dont have any clue
I took 4 diffrent pictures but i want one when it is daytime ,will try to post pics this weekend
I hope that you can do some miracles on the other word written in it
Why in the world would someone write schlafkammer in his helmet
Wish that i could go back in time to ask the man in person :lol:

Jonas

Based on my own service experiences, I can see why someone would write schlafkammer in their helmet.

on request a few more fotos on that funny word that is written inside my helmet
acording to someone i had spoken yesterday it schould be schlaffzimmer instead of schlaffkammer?????

this is just a view of the gostwappen left on the helmet

jonas

Jonas,

I think I have the clue.

The name could even be SCHLAFMANN.
And yes, there was a SCHLAFMANN at the 9/FR90.

Friedrich SCHLAFMANN, first mentioned as missed, November 1914:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/624264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then, second publication, April 1916. The guy is now back again in his unit.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3482599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then he muted to the 6/JR187 (maybe the reason of the change of frontplate). This unit was formed 23.5.15 in Laon (France). He was then KIA October 1916.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4808350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philippe
:D

Well that is great that you could dig this up for me :bravo:
Why in the world would there be two names in it :-k
Maybe the helmet whas reasigned
Some things we will never know
Would it be a possibility that the first owner was killed and that this helmet was reasigned to an other soldier
If any one of the guys here has a helmet from mecklemburg ,could you mesure the distance between the eylets so i can take this to my helmet
And compare it with the filled holes on my helmet

Jonas

kaiser said:
Would it be a possibility that the first owner was killed and that this helmet was reasigned to an other soldier

I assume that the second owner could be this August MÜLLER :wink:

Philippe
:wink:

Back