Mecklemburg model 1868: opinion, please !

monfort

Hi

What is your opinion on this model 1868 from Mecklemburg?

The shell is a genuine 1867 type shell, without rear spine. No double holes. Goods screws
The chinscales are good too.
So mainly, this helmet looks good to me.

I just post pictures of the possible points of "concern":
- the spike, which is 12cm tall: is it the good one or a Police one? It looks good to me.
- the rear marking: it is the FR90 which is good, but the stamp seems strange to me, esêcially the "90". What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance !

Eric,

While you and I have discussed this helmet before I have never seen the Mark! I agree with you that this Mark is highly suspect. We have two examples in our listing which are both quite different. The first one is off my helmet and is of approximately the same age.
jr90.jpg

FR90_2.jpg

This is a good example of allowing collectors to use the listing at http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Kammer_Marks.html
The one on the helmet under discussion looks bad. Collectors can draw their own opinions from these examples.

As a completely biased plug for the listing I would encourage everyone to send pictures of their marks. This public resources has come in handy frequently and is a great tool for some collectors -- a reference. I would like to thank all who have contributed to it -- now let's get more!

Back