Mecklenburg 89th or 90th Landstrum NCO Infantry Shako

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Ok by popular request and to make Joe happy, here is my latest purchase, and it is a rare, rare one.

Mecklenburg 90th Landstrum Infantry shako, could also be for the 89th 1st or 3rd Batl.

This one is in great shape, has nice NCO kokarden and Feldzeichen is rare and in great shape. Helmet leather is nice custom purchase type all intact and tight. Leather liner is in fantastic shape.

I have only seen this type in a couple books.

This one will have a prime spot in the collection.

James

meck89or90001_zpsd7d747da.jpg

meck89or90003_zpsb577f314.jpg

meck89or90004_zpsb1e8a6ba.jpg

meck89or90005_zps249c3980.jpg

meck89or90006_zpsc4918577.jpg

meck89or90007_zps8a9dcdd7.jpg

meck89or90008_zpsfc826552.jpg

meck89or90009_zpse0ec56ce.jpg

James,

a fine shako indeed but where do you get the 89th or 90th Landsturm from?

It fits the description of a Mecklenburg-Schwerin Landwehr shako as described in Appendix II to the Clothing Regulations of 1905 (Mecklenburg and Hessen).

"The helmet plate consists of a sun of Tombak with new silver Landwehr Cross with the inscription Mit Gott für Fürst und Vaterland".

Is there not a mismatch between cockade and Feldzeichen? The cockade appears to be that of an Unteroffizier mit Portepee but the Feldzeichen does not have the silver surround of the senior NCO/Officer.

Regards
Glenn

Glen- I was mainly going by Page 83 from Casques a Pointe Tome 1 by larcade. Which if I read it right, it could go either way?

I also beleive The Landwehr carried a spiked helmet with reserve cross?

I am no expert here, just what I have read and been told.

James

Well it's quite a nice piece that you got for a very good price James!

That beauty didn't even make it to full post and it was already gone! :bravo:

James,

I no longer own a copy of Larcarde so I cannot comment on his views but I can state that there was no correlation between Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 89 and Füsiiler-Regiment Nr. 90 with the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Landsturm. That is not to say, that this type of shako would not have been utilized by the Landsturm; I think it highly probable that it was. The last peacetime Mecklenburg regulations did not provide for a helmet for NCOs and soldiers of the Landwehr, just the shako or Wachstuchmütze, although Landwehr officers were equipped as those of Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 90, albeit with the Brigade number in the epaulette field and shoulder board and a Landwehr cross on the helmet.

Regards
Glenn

Even photographs of this are rare. This is the only one I have and it is not very good. A mix of headgear of a Landsturm unit but I have been unable to determine the Battalion.

ps936 by joerookery, on Flickr

By the way – did you notice that James started a different thread for his pictures avoiding the existing thread on the stolen item. Geez – I wonder if this be the same one?

I think part of the Landwehr/Landsturm confusion is a question of time. Started off as a Landwehr item and by 1914 was handed down to the Landsturm. I agree with Glenn on the Association of any numbers outside of the infantry brigade. I don't think 89 or 90 had anything to do with the Landsturm.

Beautiful Tschako Jim. Congratulations.
Look at Tafel 149 of Das Deutsche Heer in the lower left hand corner. This plate is listed for the Mecklenburg Schwerin Landw. Kavall.-Offiz.
Write to me at Jturinetti.woh.rr.com and I'llsend you some photos.

jimturinetti said:
Beautiful Tschako Jim. Congratulations.
Look at Tafel 149 of Das Deutsche Heer in the lower left hand corner. This plate is listed for the Mecklenburg Schwerin Landw. Kavall.-Offiz.
Write to me at Jturinetti.woh.rr.com and I'llsend you some photos.

Yes indeed, extremely rare piece. Congrats!! =D>
And yes, Larcade is mentioning too that this plate was worn by the MS Landw.Kavall.
But he is also telling, that shakos worn by the MS Landsturm were from the old pattern M60 shakos.
And this one is a M95, but as we all know, there were a lot of possible combinations from August 1914 onwards, especially in the Landwehr and Landsturm.
I can also only agree with Glenn, the Portepee Unteroffizier cockade does not match the Feldzeichen which is Mannschaft. But it should not be very difficult to mend that :wink:
Once again, a scarce piece of history in really great shape!
Philippe

Sweeeeeeet! shako. I think that it needs to be sent to me for some TLC! However, don't hold your breath on getting it back! Congrats James!

Back