Mecklenburg Schwerin Grenadier Regt 89 or Fusilier Regt 90 a one year volunteer

Steve,
Fantastic pickelhaube! I am still very perplexed with the whole concept of what a One-Year Volunteer Pickelhaube should have or not have on it. In the case of this outstanding helmet, it is a private purchase helmet with numerous enlisted parts.
John

John one characteristic that all OYV helmets have is that they are private purchase. As you say, they do have a combination of officer and OR parts. However, these helmets could be converted to full Officer with very little expense. So, if the OYV went on to full Officer rank, he would not have to buy a new helmet. This is my opinion from what I have seen.

Brian ;
Just a guess but I would think that the quality of the helmet and the type of hardware that the 1 year
volunteer selected would depend on how much money that he was willing to spend .Some wanted to have their
helmets as close to officer quality as possible .The G R 89 / F R 90 helmet that I just got has the officers type
liner .
Steve

I totally agree Steve, there were numerous quality options available in private purchase helmets, if you had the money to spend. I have worked on helmets stamped feder lichte “feather light “. These had very thin fittings and shell. There are helmets with no red and green lined visors. There are helmets with aluminum cruciform support discs with extended arms that form a sort of basket on the inside of the shell. At the last SOS we found an aluminum Bav. Officer helmet! So there is ample proof that if you had money, there were many ways to spend it on custom haube options.

Beautiful helmet in pristine condition.
I believe this helmet could have been used by a OYV, but it could also have been used by a Fähnrich; an officer candidate who had not yet passed his exams to qualify for a portapee. It could even have been used by any enlisted rank who had the wherewithal to privately purchase such a fine helmet.

John

Back