Mecklenburg-Strelitz bugle with some clues

argonne

Hello Gents,

This is my latest find. German WWI bugle with the scarce Mecklenburg-Strelitz Wappen always have been there on it (II/GR89). The wappen is showing the same dents and signs of intensive use as the rest of the bugle. So I am thinking that the origin of this bugle is M-Strelitz. Nice marks of the 4/RJR90 (Reserve Infanterie Regiment 90,Mecklenburg-Schwerin), Garnitur III, unit in which the bugle probably moved at the mobilisation, because of the urgent need of equipment in this reserve unit. Maker mark is C.W. MORITZ, Berlin.

There also is a JR 16 stamp on the left side. This is a clue for me. Is it the westphalian JR16, the bavarian JR16 or maybe the later Reichswehr JR16 (formed on the 1.1.1921)?

During the war, the bugle could have changed unit, maybe because of a current lack of bugles at the JR16 (bavarian or westphalian).

Or the JR16 is a sign of a later reutilisation in the Reichswehr? What are you thinking?

Philippe :wink:

A pict of the bugle together with my matching RJR90 helmet, worn by Oskar HAHN, 4. Companie, seriously wounded and taken prisoner, May 1916 at Verdun (hill 304). It´s very possible that both owners could have met, more than 100 years ago, because same company in the same unit...

Excellent find, I love it. Man that piece has seen a few things! :thumb up:

I wont sugest to blow that horn ,think it will be pretty out of tone
But what is more that this one wont be easy to find a second time
This is stil pretty cool to set in a display

Great find on this horn

Jonas

kaiser said:
I wont sugest to blow that horn

Thank you Gents!

Jonas, I blowed in it. It still gives an impressive tone! I think, as far there are no holes in it, such things were still used in the trenches to give some accoustic signals (Gas alarm, attack, stategic moves and so on).

Philippe :wink:

Interesting item.
Was it a regulation to add the regimental emblem, or a mere personal touch? I have seen a few with an eagle but none with other signs, Saxony, Hessen,...

911car said:
Was it a regulation to add the regimental emblem, or a mere personal touch? I have seen a few with an eagle but none with other signs, Saxony, Hessen,...

Bruno,
It is clearly regulation, as shown here for both Mecklenburg duchies. However, in this case, the regulation is quite unprecise. For both duchies (Schwerin and Strelitz), it is mentioned that the "Mecklenburgische Wappen in Neusilber" has to be worn on the bugle. But those Wappen were a little bit different, with crown and laurel leaves (Schwerin) or without (Strelitz). In this special case, I think the regulation strictly means the Wappen at the center of emblem ,which were same for both duchies (bull, griffin, cross, arm with a ring in its hand, and so on).

Eagle were prussians and are common to find, a little bit more difficult with regimental marks.

2rr2fsp.jpg

This one in the middle is Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Museum of Rastatt). Note it has the crown and the laurel leaves. Left of it, a Württemberg and right, a bavarian (always without any Wappen):

p7063710.jpg

This scarce one is Oldenburg:

p7043710.jpg

Then a saxon:

9k790w.jpg

Never saw a hessian one....And no ideas if the Garde regiments also have the normal eagle or maybe a SUUM CUIQUE star...No idea too about the small saxon duchies and the duchy of Baden...

Philippe
:wink:

Back