Medic with unusual insignia/badges

Robert

I have not seen this before. Maybe these badges were used as replacement for white Volunteer caps?
The card is dated March 21st, 1918.

med_klein_1.jpg

med_klein_2.jpg

Very nice foto Robert. I love the MG badge as well. That soldat appears to be wearing corduroy pants and ankle boots with putees while the other two have the typical jack boots. B

The MGSSA guy is wearing a nice pattern Ersatz bayonet too.

The medical insignia, is just another variation, most likely from some volunteer Krankenpflege group.

Chip

Wow! The second bruder foto raises even more questions as far as I am concerned. I would preface these questions with the commment that I have very limited knowledge of German Uniforms. The seated elder brother..... why does he have the aeschylus cloth badge while the other bruder does not? What is his rank? I see an NCO collar button with NCO lace on the cuffs and collars but is that Garde litzen on the collars as well?? Basically..... an appeal to our uniform experts out there, what is going on here?

I'll join you in the "limited knowledge" side of the room Brian, but you can prefix mine with a "decidedly"" if you don't mind.

That said, I don't mind sticking my neck out occasionally, especially when I have the luxury of being able to delete any off beam comments.

The younger brother is a volunteer medical orderly (Freiwilligen Krankenpflege), perhaps too young to join his older brother in his Garde / Lieb (?) regiment.

The badges on the second picture are exactly the same! The young age of the man makes me wonder weather they were maybe issued to lower qualified helpers in contrast to actual doctors. Would originally every member of the Freiwillige Krankenpflege (volunteer medical service) wear the white 1883 Schirmmütze, regardless of the rank?

The younger brother is wearing a Red Cross buckle, so perhaps he is a Red Cross volunteer rather than a member of a local volunteer group. These non-military medical related units usually had very old, very young or militarily unfit members.

The older brother must be from some Garde Kav. unit. I don't think any of the Garde infantry units had white piping on their caps.

The Sanitäter sleeve patch would not have been worn by non-military personnel.

Chip

Back