Mega Kugel

Lost Skeleton

This pearl arrived today; ultra lightweight Vulkanfiber from the firm, Depaheg Patent, and size 60!

P1010503.jpg

Chas.

Wow! What a beautiful helmet. It has the narrow chinscales too that seem to be on wartime helmets. Something tells me though, that even a size 60 won't fit your giant Ohio pumpkin Chas.

Inside as frosty?

Hi Tony:

When the Kugel arrived I couldn't resist the temptation of trying it on.:D It rested about an inch above the ears. If I had a Preußen haircut, the fit would be virtually custom made.

As for the interior, the helmet was certainly used. The thin leather sweatband shows wear around the forehead and ears, but remains intact.

P1010509.jpg

This is the second Depaheg helmet to enter my collection (the other is Bavarian) and both have the narrow, delicate scales. Whether this was in keeping with the lightness of Vulkanfiber helmets or representative of wartime measures, I don't know. Likewise, the Wappen and stars have prongs rather than threaded posts.

Chas.

Breathtaking, Chas! Those Vulkanfiber helmets that have been well cared for seem to alway look so new and shiny!

Chas: Is the silk liner on that beauty the typical material used on officer helmets? In your pic it appears to be stiffer and more shiny than usual. The reason I ask, is that I have a Lubek officer helmet sent up from Maine for repairs. The liner in it is green and has the same shine and stiffness to it as yours. I have yet to encounter such a silk liner in an officer helme. Brian

Hi !

It looks very good. Nice gilted Officer plate, all parts fit well. Nice patina inside.

Congratulations!

Back