Meklenburg Pickelhaube

I was wondering if it was authentic 100%?,I have the opportunity to buy from a friend and would be grateful for help in establishing the authenticity. Cheerss

I was wondering if it was authentic 100%?,I have the opportunity to buy from a friend and would be grateful for help in establishing the authenticity. Cheerss
Did you check by yourself first? There are many pictures in books, forums including here... You should take a look: what does a Mecklenburg arms plate look like? How is it attached to the star? What type of screws are used to attach the plate to the helmet? Are there holes on star rays?
Do you have a picture of the helmet with the emblem off?

this is my first adventure with pickelhaube, so please help me verify the authenticity. I don't know anything about it: /

I am no expert Ed as I don’t own one of these but from your pictures, it does look original to me. It is missing the Meck cockade though. It is an officer style of helmet, privately purchased not government issued. Is the spike top missing?

YES THE SPOKE IS MISSING. Thank you b.loree for your professional opinion or who else is able to add something? is wappen ok?

Brian is correct. Overall, it looks okay. However:
  • Mecklemburg-Strelitz infantry was a minuscule unit: one battalion in one regiment. You can imagine how rare officer helmets are. These helmets fetch high prices
  • Condition is not good. The helmet is battered. Cockades are missing. No spike. Chinscales are too long and most likely not original. Stars are ill-fitting. What are these holes under chinscale attachments?
  • I have concerns about the emblem. This is not what military Mecklenburg arms should look like. If this is a variant, I have never seen it, and I would be happy if someone can correct me. On the back of the star, it seems that screws have been re-soldered. There are also small holes at the end of star rays, suggesting this plate was attached somewhere in the past
  • The way the name is written in large characters on the rear bill is very uncommon. You can still check Ranglisten and see whether there was an officer in this name in IR89...
In aggregate, this is, in my opinion, a dubious item, let alone the poor condition. On the other hand, 450 euro for a Strelitz officer helmet should be the deal of the century, if you manage to convince yourself.
Best wishes;

Here I found chin scales from Bavaria that look like the one in Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Would you risk buying it if you were to spend 450 euros? I have no idea where these holes are from, I don't know anything about it. Wappen, in my opinion, was repaired, i mean screws . has anyone seen this kind of Wappen?

Attachments

• ger 2.jpg
    ger 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ger1.jpg
    ger1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 22
Edmund,

Let me put it to you this way.

If I were in your shoes, I would NOT spend 1 Euro on this helmet. There are all sorts of issues with it as Brian and Bruno have pointed out. I will also add that the interior liner and headband are fakes.

Save your money.

John

Edmund,

Let me put it to you this way.

If I were in your shoes, I would NOT spend 1 Euro on this helmet. There are all sorts of issues with it as Brian and Bruno have pointed out. I will also add that the interior liner and headband are fakes.

Save your money.

John
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) The list of red flags is too long to spend some time on it...

Philippe
;)

Hi to everyone.....
Have the initial pics been deleted? or am I unable to see'em?
Thanks
Giorgio

Hi to everyone.....
Have the initial pics been deleted? or am I unable to see'em?
Thanks
Giorgio
Giorgio, I think the pictures were deleted by the topic-starter.
I saw them yesterday, but now not anymore. But, as many have said here, it was not a very good helmet, too many red flags on it unfortunately.

Regards, Coert.

Really thanks for the answer Coert....
ok....but I don't think it is very correct to delete the photos after having had the answers ...... they could be useful in the future, especially for someone like me at the beginning, to study and look both the originals and the "fakes" or simply with "red flags".
Ok..... it doesn't matter.....:giggle::giggle:
All my best
Giorgio

Really thanks for the answer Coert....
ok....but I don't think it is very correct to delete the photos after having had the answers ...... they could be useful in the future, especially for someone like me at the beginning, to study and look both the originals and the "fakes" or simply with "red flags".
Ok..... it doesn't matter.....:giggle::giggle:
All my best
Giorgio
Giorgio, I completely agree with what you said, it might be very informative for members looking for more info on Pickelhaubes, so they know what to look for, and also to know what is good, and what isn't.
Because collecting these helmets can be a minefield, if you are not very knowledgeable about them. I collect these helmets for about 15 years now, and you know, I learn something new everyday I visit this site.
Collective knowledge, as found here, can keep you from making mistakes. Mistakes that can cost you a lot of money.

Regards, Coert.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like this new member got the answer he was looking for and departed again, without thinking about the community that helped him identify the issues with his Pickelhaube.
Lars

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like this new member got the answer he was looking for and departed again, without thinking about the community that helped him identify the issues with his Pickelhaube.
Lars
I don't think you're wrong, Lars. He did not even bother thanking members who explained to him that this helmet is junk. Perhaps this is not what he expected to read. Anyway, no big deal. We already discussed the fact that some use the forum as a free appraisal website: "What is it and how much is it worth?"...

Back