Merit Cross for Ladies & Young Ladies, 1870-1871

Larmo

This was a recent purchase of ours and features the Merit Cross for Ladies & Young Ladies, the 1870-1871 Non-combatant Medal and a Saxon 1870-1871 Nursing Cross. An additional bonus was the original issue case which accompanied this old set. The inner silk hinges are very fragile and the ribbons show fading from time but the set has a great old patina to it and was no doubt worn with pride by its original owner.

The Merit Cross for Ladies and Young Ladies was sponsored by Queen Augusta (wife of Wilhelm I of Prussia) and was presented to those deserving of the award who directly cared for wounded and sick soldiers during the 1870-1871 War. A listing of the names of the 2,972 women awarded with the cross exists, it would be great to find out the name of the Saxon lady who was the original owner. But that is another research project on the burner.
cross1v.jpg
cross4.jpg

cross2g.jpg
cross3.jpg

Perhaps this good woman received the Merit Cross for her efforts during the war..........but I'll bet this guy didn't though, he's quite the character isn't he.
cross5e.jpg
cross6.jpg

Cheers Larmo

Thanks guys....glad you like the set, I was very happy to get it. The Merit Cross is an exquisite little medal. Clara Barton was awarded one.

Joe no clue but he is pretty wild isn't he. German backmark on the CDV, French Chassepot bayonet and what's with the headgear....a true Bohemian, enlisted for the cause.

Larry

Of all of these that I've seen, this is the first with the Preussen and Sachsen ribbons combined. Definitely the lady's choice, and beautiful.

Larry,

Is there a correlation between the picture and the medals? I mean specifically was she the owner. If so, I may be able to help with the name.

When/if you and Terri decide to give this away…

Thanks Tschako, we have a single Merit Cross which we purchased at the last Great Western Show in Vegas back in 1998. It opened a door to a renewed interest in EK's. This one appealed to me because of the trio set-up and the fact that an original case was included. Downside is there is a tiny chip in the Merit Cross. Our other example is undamaged.

Hi Joe,

No the image and medals were purchased at different times. I just placed her in the photos because she was of the era and was wearing the Red Cross brassard. I suppose there is a 1 in 29xx chance of finding out who this set was presented to. On another forum there is a link with the names of all of the recipients, but, no other information regarding other awards.

Cheers

Larry

Back