Merry Christmas! New member here - How should I go about reshaping my Pickelhaube

Even with an antique wooden hat mold, I would recommend you cover it with a plastic bag before you put your humidified helmet project on it. These molds and the styrofoam heads can also be used to fix sunken helmet tops which is another common problem with these pieces. There is a great deal of information in the restoration section.
Noted! I need as much knowledge as I can get on the subject of restoration if I plan on making this a hobby, so I will be reading through a lot of the older posts in this section. This forum is truly a treasure trove of information!

Two comments:
---Beware that "adjustable wooden forms" are very powerful. Don't force them all at once, screw them in gradually, otherwise you risk breaking the hull or the seams.
------Similarly, the liner's drawstring must be left loose, i.e. without a knot at the end, and the "wolf teeth" must be kept well apart. Because when the liner is too tight and the helmet is placed on the head, the pressure tears the holes.

Two comments:
---Beware that "adjustable wooden forms" are very powerful. Don't force them all at once, screw them in gradually, otherwise you risk breaking the hull or the seams.
------Similarly, the liner's drawstring must be left loose, i.e. without a knot at the end, and the "wolf teeth" must be kept well apart. Because when the liner is too tight and the helmet is placed on the head, the pressure tears the holes.
Understood. Thanks for the advice!

Back