Mess tin/Kochgeshirr, What pattern?

Das158er

Hi All

I have noticed in early/pre war photos that there was a larger plainer type of mess tin in
Use , does anyone know what model this was and even better does anyone have one in
There collection that they could post photos of? As I have never been able to find an example.
I have posted some period pics. of this earlier mess tin together with the familiar M1910
Model that I guess we all know.
Stu Das 158er
messtinho6.jpg

004ml8.jpg

Hey Stu,
The larger mess kit is the 1887 pattern, it was replaced with the M1910 mes kit and then with the M1915, you can see photos of them in Johan Sommer's first volume on page 110
Gus

Hi Gus
Thanks for the info, superb! I dont know the book but will look it up.
I have never seen one of thease mess kits come up for sale so I guess they must be rare now.
Cheers Stu

Das158er

Hey Stu,
Like you, I have never seen one of these up for sale, the handle on the 1887 was detachable. Even the M1910 is not often encountered, it is much like the M1915, but the handle is T ahped and I believe it is of extruded or cast construction rather than the stamped handle found on the more common M1915.
Bes twihses
Gus
ps that is the first period photo of the M1887 I have seen

Hi Gus
I am learning more all the time, so the photo of my mess tin is the M15 not M10.
I feel a quest comming on to track down an 1887 model :cool:
If any one has an M10 and can post photos of the handle etc. that would be great!
Cheers Stu
Das158er

Hear are another couple of photos I have found showing the 1887 model in use athe early part of the war
002ga6.jpg

Soldiers marching past a burning building with 1887 mess tins
003zk1.jpg

Dead after what must have been an early war battle, showing an M1887 in the foreground and what I guess must be an M10 middle of the photo.
Stu
Das158er

Hey Stu,
You are correct, that does look like an M1910 mes kit in the photo. Johan Somer's Books are 3 volumes that cover a lot of German equipment that you seldom see else where, they were not that well recieved by some of the pointy hat people, because they are poor pointy hat books, but that was not what it was intended to be. You should be able to pick them up in Blighty for around 20 quid each. The title is "Imperial German field uniforms and eqipment-1907-1918"

Volume one covers Field equipment, optical instruments, body armor, mine and chem war fare, communications equipment, weapons and cloth headgear.

Volume two covers headgear, uniforms, insignia and Imperial Marine.

Volume three covers Landsturm, colonial, cyclist, Horse and ersatz uniforms and equipment.

I might point out that many of the forum members were contributors to these books, and their contributions are what made them so good (well, it took a motivated Belgian to get it all together)

Best wihses
Gus

Hi Gus
I found Johan Somer's books on ebay and will be investing in copies of all 3, your help has been superb on this question, thanks
All the best
Stu
Das158er

Stu: There are also exellent photographs of the M1910 and M1915 mess kits on page 612 of The German Army in the First World War, Uniforms and Equipment 1914-1918 by Jurgen Kraus. This is a definitive reference well worth the price.

The M1910 Infantry Mess kit is made from aluminum which is blackened and has a reenforced handle on the lid. The cavalry Model 1910 kit is made from heavier aluminum and is not blackened. The model 1915 mess kit is made from sheet steel.

I hope the above is helpful.

Reservist1

Hi R1
Many thanks for letting me know, I just found this diagram showing theM10/M15 and the differences.
Stu Das158er
191020kochgeschirrqh8.jpg

Hey Stu,
Take a look at this ebay auction, sadly the 1887 mess tin is lacking the handle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=230292013450
Best wihses
Gus

Back