Mexican Officer for Major or Colonel Pickelhaube with Plume

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Well this one sort of fell into my lap, was not looking for one, but could not pass it up either.

Very nice Mexican Pickelhaube with Cock feather plume, which I understand to by a high ranking officer, but not General. M1910

As I understand it:

Ostrich plume for General's
Cock plume for Major and Colonel
Black Buffalo plume for lower officers

Anyway, a stone cold almost mint helmet with great liner, and initials A.R. on silk part of liner, inside marked in pencil 55 1/2 for size and some other initials hard to read.

The wappen on this one is Steller, and as requested by a forum member, I took it off and took a picture of the back side.

Original Plume case was included

The overall quality of the piece is top notch, no surprise as these where all German made.

Not sure if I am going to keep this one or not as it is not my main interest, however, it is choice and maybe?

I know we had another thread started on these somewhere, but thought I would start an new one as it just arrived.

Feedback would be appreciated.

All the best

James

:eek: Great helmet!
Always loved to have one since the day I knew they existed, but you don't see them ...ever.

That is very cool James. Congrats.

Be careful that you don't suddenly need the South American, Swedish, Romanian and other international spikey helmets!

Very Nice helmet. Put me on the list if you decide not to keep it.

Do you have any background info on it ?

Was the guy you got it from a dealer , collector or family of the original owner.

The price you paid was it the same as a Prussian of this caliber or more ?

Once again very nice helmet .

thanks guy's!

Got the helmet from an Old collection on West Coast.

Prices for these are quite a bit more then a common German officer helmet, a lot harder to find.

thanks

James

Gorgeous helmet James! As far as I know, the black cock feather plume is correct for Generals; I've never seen a black ostrich plume worn by Mexican Generals. I've seen a few standard officers' helmets similar to yours accompanied by cock feather plumes, but I'm not sure what the significance of this combination is- possibly General Staff officers? Also, I note the domed chin scales on your helmet which were not worn by Infantry officers but were worn by Generals on their squared visor/cruciform spike base helmets, and I don't doubt that this ties in with the plume as well. It may even be a special helmet for Colonels. The regulations for these foreign worn helmets often bears little resemblance to the German regs...

Well, I wish one of those would fall into my lap! All I seem to get in my lap is stuff that missed my mouth. Certainly a beautiful helmet.

:D Ron

Yes...to all other comments. I have always loved that wappen, excellent helmet! Congratulations James. I would never sell it, much rarer than some old Bavarian! Think about the size of the Mexican Army compared to the Imperial German at any time. You are very lucky to have it. :thumb up:

I always wanted one of those. Steve Sinclair will one go for a song without telling me. I heard something about a big cachet of plumes that came out of the woodwork. I'm talking like 100 of them. I don't remember where I heard that.

Back