MG shoulder strap question

my my… I would have thought the same thing. We have to get Chip in on this one. There were a number of interesting things I have found that seem to be anomalies in units formed from the 115th. For instance a soldier's rank when he was a private in that unit was "gardist". That ranked carried over to soldiers who became part of a split off unit. Like RJR 254. Did they get all of this including the helmet cover at the ersatz battalion?

Strange indeed. The writer of the card mentions that they are in the training grounds of Beverloo in Belgium. A number of insignia were worn there that were worn no where else. I reference the metal "B" collar insignia and the "B" shoulder straps with unit number. My guess would be that these shoulder straps are temporary ones worn for identification while in training.

There was a regular issue strap similar to this that was worn on the Feldrock by Bavarian MG units. I have seen at least two photos of them and two actual examples. One pair is in the collection of the Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt and the other appeared on Ebay.de a few years ago. Here is a picture of what they look like.

Chip

Thanks Joe / Chip.

So we might assume that the people in charge of the Beverloo facility were manufacturing their own shoulder-straps and collar insignia. From the photos I've seen of Russian POW workers billeted there, they had quite a little industry going :-k

Cheers!

B.

B.,

It would be pure speculation to attribute the shoulder straps to being produced in the camp. Though I am sure they had the capability there, the straps could just as easily been ordered from Germany. All were hand-made, so it is difficult to assign one to a specific place of origin.

I have in my collection an example of a "B" shoulder strap from the camp and also a photo of it being worn. I cannot tell from the construction whether it was made there or not, although I can tell you that stitching used to form the letter is not the typical chain-stitching you see on nearly all issue shoulder straps. It is much smaller in scale and done in a double row to give it the appearance of the normal larger stitch. Does this mean it was made at the camp? I think, at best, it leaves the question open.

Chip

I remember that photo Joe. It's a great shot. The guy on the right is still wearing his unit shoulder strap, which looks like that of I.R.95. I think the instructors wore the "B" on the collar.

Chip

Thanks Chip and Joe. Things aren't so foggy now. I'll now expect the unexpected when perusing photos of troops in Beverloo.

While I have you both, if we were to replace the "B" with a "W", what possible location could that represent? Looking at an example now (not mine).

Cheers,

B.

Joe,

I've sent you an email with some pics I borrowed from the dealer's ad. Sorry Chip I don't have your email, maybe Joe can pass the email along if he thinks it's worth your while.

Cheers,

B.

from Chip,

First of all, I'd pay 15 Euro for it!

My guess is that this is somewhat akin to the "B" collar insignia, that is, it might be for the camp at Wahn.

My second guess relates to something I found in Kraus. He says that in 1916 some newly formed divisions issued shoulder straps with various letters on them, reflecting the city or state affiliation of the division. Therefore, the staff of the 204th division wore the letter "S" with a "W" underneath, as it was a mixed Saxon/Württemberg unit. The "Brigade Württemberg Stab" wore a "W". (I think drakegoodman has such a photo.) It might be possible that this "W" was worn on the collar by some.

Of the two ideas, I like the first one better.

Joe,

I like the first idea too, thanks for passing on the email to Chip. Given my deference for his opinion, I'll make the dealer an offer and see where that goes. The card has been languishing on his 'shelves' for a few months now.

Cheers,

Brett

Update, the "W" fellow is now mine for a reasonable 12.00 Euro, including postage Downunder.

Secondly, I bought this guy months ago but couldn't quite remember why, the original is very palish and it's quite difficult if not impossible to make out that collar insignia without the aid of a loupe.

Feb15#06 by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Too bad we can't see his shoulder strap clearly. I would like to get some better answers about what was worn by the various units at the camp.

Chip

Back