Michael Baldwin Collection auction part 1. 31 January

Congrats on winning the Wurttemburg kit helmet!

I watched/listened to the first 2-hours online, starting at 4 a.m. central US time zone. They flew through the first 175-lots in a little over 120 minutes time.

I was puzzled by the groupings of shoulder boards as well. It had to have been incredibly frustrating for collectors who only wanted 1-board out of the 3-or more that they were routinely grouped together as.

Yes, the Baden officer with cover went for a very, very high price. So did the Jaeger tunic with the Jaeger shako and cover, which I believe sold for a whopping 9,500 pounds. I about fell out of my chair watching both of those sell. And one of the Camo M16 helmets that went for I believe 2,400 Pounds, which was staggering.

I'm amazed how high pickelhaubes sell for in the UK. At least the Pound has fallen about 10-points against the US Dollar since the first auction back the end of January 2018. And they also slightly dropped their commission for online bids from 34% back in January, to 27% for this 2nd auction.

The one thing that I wanted more than anything in the world I was able to win online, but it was expensive: the Model 1915 Mecklenburg-Strelitz buckle in steel. Apparently, just one battalion of infantry (a thousand men?), a battery of field artillery, and maybe a support unit or two were issued these buckles, less than a quarter of 1% of the entire Imperial German army. I was dumbfounded that the auction house broke it's own bid increment level rules, and accepted a 50-Pound bid increase from the last competitor against me in the fight for the buckle. I heard the 50 pound bid raise offer, and wanted to say "What the heck!?" and was equally dumbfounded that the auctioneer said that he would accept it. Needless to say I was more than a little ticked off.

This buckle is the 5th or 6th buckle that I know of in existence. Uber Rare!

Best Regards,

Alan

Truce1914 said:
The big shock of the day was the price the Baden 111 RIR with uberzug made. I hope the buyer appreciates the history behind this piece, they were one of the regiments facing the British on the first day of the Battle of the Somme 1/7/16, £4200 plus 24% ---here

To my eyes, as especially interested in Pickelhaubes which the wearer can be tracked and traced, this was the only matching headgear piece in this auction that was absolutely perfect. Both Überzug and helmet were named and the wearer SCHROTH is easily tracked in the Verlustlisten and Baden-Kriegsstammrollen (with many details) as get prisoner in the Somme. He was goldsmith as a civilian.

To my opinion, the RJR242 and JR186 Überzüge were put together after the war on a helmet....They never have been together before....

But 4200 Pounds for the R111 (6000 Euro with the taxes) is absolutely not to understand. Totally overprized!!! Someone had to loose some money, but obviously only peanuts for this guy....I only was ready to pay 2000 pounds without tax for it....

The JB9 cover did not also match the Tschako and the tunic, not the same wearer....9000 Pounds for that!!!! [-X

Philippe
:wink:

4,200 Pounds for a Baden 111 with cover !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF ????????????????????

I have a mint example sitting on the shelf now ( with out cover ).

I paid $250 for it

I wonder how much it will go for if I ever get famous in this hobby ?

Alan, sorry to hear what happened to you with the bidding, I agree that is not fair. The auctioneer did that a few times offering room bidders half bids, myself included but I was still outbid on quite a few items (not your buckle). I suppose from the auctioneers point of view it is better to be paid there and then and have the person walk away with it rather than pack and send. One item I was offered a half bid on was the very rare Bavarian pilots badge. I did look at it in hand out of curiosity and decided I should go for it. I used to collect Imperial aviation in a big way. 10 years ago I would have killed for that piece. It just spoke to you, a collected at the time crumpled pilots badge by the first soldier on scene of a bad crash. Plus it was actually genuine. Only ever owned one Bavarian example. On the positive side, if I had won it, I would now be reflecting on items I have long since parted with that it would have gone so well with.

You are right about UK prices for WW1 headgear at this time. In fact, I would say it is the only field in militaria here that is healthy and rising in values. I believe this is down to a lot of people losing faith in WW2 German / SS items due to the level of fakes and the stigma of being associated with Nazi related items as in these days everything everyone does seems to be up for discussion on social media.Also many people here are giving up on anything weapon related. The new Euro zone laws on deactivated guns has just about killed that trade. No one wants a welded solid machine gun. Also there is talk of new laws coming in related to edged weapons, for instance, no edge weapon can be sent to a customer by Post, or similar. I feel sure it is only a matter of time before bayonets and inert ordnance what ever its age of historical relevance will be classed as a weapon of war rather than collectors item and then banned . From this I believe quite a few collectors are regaining there interest in the safer area of WW1 headgear among-st others.

I am glad I am not the only one puzzled by the way the shoulder straps were listed. It wouldn't have been so bad it they were at least grouped by State. I certainly think all the ciphered boards should have been individual lots and would have made more money.

Truce1914 said:
a lot of people losing faith in WW2 German / SS items due to the level of fakes

WWI headgear, especially Haubes, are already since the two last decades victims of fake (including part helmets)! And unfortunately, those fakes are getting always better and more difficult to track...

Philippe
:wink:

Truce1914 said:
Alan, sorry to hear what happened to you with the bidding,

Also watch out with phonebids with this auctionhouse . Last auction I spoke with them that i wanted to bid on a lot . They confirmed that my phonebid was on the list . The day before the auction I checked with them again and according to them everything was fine. Day of the sale knowbody called ... :cry: I even gave two mobiel numbers .. I send them a email asking what went wrong and they donnt even have the courtesy to reply. So be careful

Watching the bidding rocketing for the Baden 111 , my assumption , after pinching myself hard, was that it must have been due to the Battle of the Somme connection as Truce1914 has commented. British gallantry and casualty medals for example , awarded for actions during the Battle of the Somme period command prices considerably higher ( in some cases 40-50% ) than those awarded for other theatres and actions.

In the first M.Baldwin auction I purchased a very nice feldmutz for the same reason. It is marked to the Baden 110 RIR, also present on the 1st day of the Somme. It was the most I personally have paid for a feldmutz, £620 including the commission. But, as one off I did not mind too much. I did wonder if my under bidder was also interested in the history behind the piece or that it is given a page in Feldzug 1915. For me I like both points.

A fair few items from the first auction have already appeared on dealers sites at prices 25% or more than was realised at the auction including the commission . Maybe we have to review what is a high price.

hi, I went to the part one and part 2,auction live, it was very special to be there and they had in the first auction a 1907 bavarian tunic. In the second auction y had also a 1907 tunic bavarian, it went high prices , but ,, I do not regret one moment, (I sold some items before so I had the cash for it) and to find 1907 tunics ,,, not easy, but overall it was fun to be there. The 3 auction I bid on line and won a cover model 1915, perhaps high in price but he is in the books and very nice state , but indeed (shipping to belgium ) and euro to pounds ,, also costs that came into the game ,,,

but to have 2 tunics from that M Baldwin collection,(that I wanted ) so happy and thats important, to have the piece and be happy with it thats all.

Back