Mle 1884 Kepi

Stahlhelm

Here's one of only 2 WW1 French items in my collection. Even with the moth eaten wool and one replaced button, it looked otherwise complete and I liked the look of it. I've received some information on the visor markings from collectors, but still haven't found much information on the 97th Regiment.

I look forward to learning more about the Regiment and this cap.

100_2472.jpg

100_2473.jpg

100_2470_edited.jpg

100_2456_edited.jpg

Peter
I think it would be more prctical then the fez they issued thier African troop's . Plus it look's btter tehan the Belgian ones.
I think the Red Trouser's crossing the open field in France would make me feel warm and fuzzy.Also that Dark Blue Coat.
Hans Very nice piece. I am trying to stay away from French stuff . As it is way to addictive. I can only dream of the Currasier uniform of 1914.
Mark
:D

Hi

Very nice and the overall condition is not so bad: they are quite difficult to find in such condition now!

Thank you all for your replies. When I first picked it up what impressed me most about the Kepi was the solid quality of the thing, especially the interior. I've never had the chance to examine a wartime horizon blue cap, and would be interested to know if they were similar in construction. I agree that the French had sharp looking uniforms during WW1, although maybe not as up to date or practical as the British.

Does anyone know more about the 97th Regiment, or know of good websites? The only Regiment with that number I've come across was mentioned as a mountain or alpine Regiment.

Hi

The 97th is a Alpine Inf reg indeed.

In Aug 1914, the 97th belonged to the 44th Inf Div in the Army of the Alpes. Then it went to the Vosges sector....

The best site is: http://cecile_meunier.club.fr//historiques/historiques/RI-097.pdf

Thank you very much for the information Eric. The fact that the 97th was indeed an Alpine Regiment and fought in the Vosges is a definate plus in my opinion. I came across the 97th in my research, including the Vosges front, but never knew if an Alpine Regiment would be issued Kepis instead of the berets the chasseur alpins wore. It shows how little I know about this field in that I wasn't even 100% sure if the cap was infantry, and not artillery or another branch.

I apologize for my delay in replying. I was camped in the middle of the wilderness 2000 km northwest of here for the past week with no access to civilization.

What is a good price for an early war Kepi and Bluse for a Frrench line regiment? I saw one at the last show I was at and they have the pair. The pics are poste of the tunic and the kepi is supposed to be as nice. I think this to a corpral.

IMG_0738.jpg

They are asking 450 CDn for the pair.
Mark

I think that tunic and cap combo was at the Summer show as well, and I was told the dealer wouldn't name a price for the set when asked, even though it was apparently for sale. I never actually saw either because they weren't always displayed throughout the show.

I was quoted 450 for the pair , i do not think that is much. I dealt with the women at the dealer , she is usually nicer than the younger BIG guy.
Mark

Hey Mark.
Was that 450 Canadian or 450 US, if it was US it would have been a steal, but at 450 Canadian, it is getting expensive. Actually, dependig on the condition and model of the Kepi, it is a very good price in my opinion, lucky for my pocket book, I am ristricted to late war uniforms.
Best wihses
Gus

Back