Model 1842 Officer's Pickelhaube - 9th Grenadier Regiment

krb450

Hey all!

So upon searching the forum, I have found that M1842s are very seldom posted, so I figured I'd share mine with you all.

I would imagine this piece dates to the 1850s, some time after the introduction of the 'Colberg 1807' bandeau to the 9th Grenadier Regiment in 1849. No names or markings that I can see inside.

Sadly the front visor has come loose, but sitting on its visors for what must be 150 years, it makes sense. Otherwise the rest of the helmet is extremely solid but does show its age.

If anyone else can chime in more on these, any input is appreciated. It is so dang hard to find any information online (or in books for that matter).

Enjoy!

Karl

wqwxx.jpg

2doyfn.jpg

2n6c49e.jpg

33kcb6f.jpg

drbjmo.jpg

v6i5x4.jpg

2w7g5k2.jpg

9qlfll.jpg

288qe89.jpg

2csj3ua.jpg

That is a terrific old beauty! Thank you for posting these pictures :thumb up: The only one I have ever handled belongs to Tony S.

Never had the chance to even see one in real live ,but this is a stunning helmet
Those early ones are so funny in chape compared with those M15
More than a great find :bravo:

Jonas

Great helmet
Great photos
Thanks for the post and the photos
The 12 Prussian Grenadiers are among my favorites
and C G R 9 is sure one of them
Great history also

Steve

Impressive, I've never seen one close up, only in photo's. It's a beautiful piece!

Cheers,

Dennis

It would be interesting to know how much that piece weighs. The height is phenomenal. I could not imagine fighting with that on my head even marching would be difficult.

That is a fantastic piece.

What really strikes me about this helmet is how much the shape resembles the cavalry helmets of the era. The shape of this helmet is closer to the original Russian leather spiked helmets, which were of the type used in the Crimean War - and which are closer in shape to the British Home Service helmet.

Thank you for posting. This really highlights the original shape of the Prussian spiked helmets.

Hi Gents,

It seems to me that some elements on this helmet are not from that early period of wear: the "modern" officer cockade (1880-1890), some modern nuts at the inside, the nuts of the chinscales...
I am also wondering that the Wappen is fixed on the shell with loops and leather wedges....It should have screw posts...The wings of the eagle should not lay on the Colberg Bandeau....

Philippe
:wink:

Good points to mention..... I had noticed the modern steel hex nut but thought that was acceptable due to the age of the helmet. The other things, I had not picked up on. I have only handled one of these and that was on a visit to Tony S's a few years back so I really have no detailed knowledge of 1842 haube characteristics.

argonne said:
Hi Gents,

...The wings of the eagle should not lay on the Colberg Bandeau....

Philippe
:wink:

Yeah it looks to be cut down .

But possibly all original showing the first step it took in it's long life.

Back