Model 1845 Bavarian Raupenhelm

SkipperJohn

This is a Model 1845. This model was used by the Bavarian Infantry in both the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871). This helmet was manufactured between 1864, when Ludwig II (King from 1864-1886) was King, and 1868 when it was replaced with a newer, lightweight model.

TapK8xK.jpg

The chinscales are quite ornate on these early models:

eTbEclA.jpg

It bears the Wappen of Ludwig II, which is held on with loops and leather wedges:

hItY1di.jpg

The liner is "triangle cut". The tongues were not used on these helmets until the Model 1868 appeared:

texiYCP.jpg

John :)

Hello
I am sory but the internal fixing of the caterpillar is not true,
(this is fixed by a leather strap and never by nuts)
regards
Bernard

Hello
I am sory but the internal fixing of the caterpillar is not true,
(this is fixed by a leather strap and never by nuts)
regards
Bernard
Bernard,
Due to forces beyond my control I have been absent from the forum for a while. I noticed your comment and, of course, I disagree. The helmet may not have been originally manufactured with nuts holding the Raupe; however, if it was not built this way it is a period repair. I decided to do a search to find other examples and found that I didn't need to search very far. I only went to one website. I used Weitze Militaria Antiques and Antique Books. Helmut Weitze is a very large dealer and, for the most part, a very respected dealer. He currently has five Raupenhelme for sale:

Three of the five helmets have either screws or nuts attaching the Raupe. Two if we disregard the Officer's helmet. I'm certain that I could find many more if I took the time to look for them. I do not believe that Never is a term that fits German military headgear very often --- if ever.

John

Back