Model 1879 Reichsrevolver

SCHUPO

Gents,

Many of the large 1879 (M/79) Reichsrevolvers were issued to Artillery units prior to 1918. Of course they became redundant after the war and were destroyed or went into stores after 1918. The Peoples Militias (Einwohnerwehr) received these revolvers in the aftermath of the armistice from Reichswehr and State stores. It is believed that the Bavarian Einwohnerwehr marked the ones we see with "EWB" or "BE" on the wooden grips but since they were issued from national Reichswehr stores as well as Bavarian State stores I see no reason why a Prussian, or Nationale, revolver would not have been issued by the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior to the Bayern Einwohnerwehr controlled by the Polizei as a Police Auxiliary.

I have one such example made by Dreyse in 1882 that is property marked to two pre-1918 Bavarian Artillery units on the butt and post-1918 "EWB" marked on the grip. The Bavarian military property markings begin with a "B" unlike Prussian military property markings. There is no "B" below my serial number either but this revolver was clearly made for the Prussians and then carried and issued by the Bavarians prior to, and after, 1918.

These old 11mm revolvers often have quite an interesting story to tell.

Attachments

• EWB revolver L.JPG
    EWB revolver L.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 32
  • EWB revolver R.JPG
    EWB revolver R.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 34
  • EWB holster open.JPG
    EWB holster open.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 31
  • EWB revolver butt.JPG
    EWB revolver butt.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the kudos.

One of the things I like about this old hand cannon are the property markings. They are a good illustration of the thrifty way the Germans reworked and re-issued items like weapons, helmets, etc. over time. They wasted little and that process can often be observed by understanding the system and looking at the property markings and the changing regulations. This holster was issued two times and the revolver was issued at least three times.

Who says that material culture objects can't talk?

Attachments

• EWB holster back.JPG
    EWB holster back.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
  • EWB holster maker.JPG
    EWB holster maker.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 13
Nice set! Congrats! I think M79s and their holsters are indeed fascinating because of the story they can tell.

The "EWB" marked ones are very tough to find, and I passed (though I regret it now) on the one example I came across.

Last edited:
Indeed these old Recihsrevolver are very interesting and also very fun to shoot with.
It is basically a .44 Russian ammunition, I reload that ammo with success and it is great to go to the shooting range with these revolvers !

Indeed these old Recihsrevolver are very interesting and also very fun to shoot with.
It is basically a .44 Russian ammunition, I reload that ammo with success and it is great to go to the shooting range with these revolvers !
What load do you use? I have .44 Russian brass, .429 cast bullets, and was going to try a load of 17 grains of 2F.

I use some french smokeless powder, type A1 : 0.23 Grammes with .429 cast bullets and .44 Russian starline brass

Gents,

Many of the large 1879 (M/79) Reichsrevolvers were issued to Artillery units prior to 1918. Of course they became redundant after the war and were destroyed or went into stores after 1918. The Peoples Militias (Einwohnerwehr) received these revolvers in the aftermath of the armistice from Reichswehr and State stores. It is believed that the Bavarian Einwohnerwehr marked the ones we see with "EWB" or "BE" on the wooden grips but since they were issued from national Reichswehr stores as well as Bavarian State stores I see no reason why a Prussian, or Nationale, revolver would not have been issued by the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior to the Bayern Einwohnerwehr controlled by the Polizei as a Police Auxiliary.

I have one such example made by Dreyse in 1882 that is property marked to two pre-1918 Bavarian Artillery units on the butt and post-1918 "EWB" marked on the grip. The Bavarian military property markings begin with a "B" unlike Prussian military property markings. There is no "B" below my serial number either but this revolver was clearly made for the Prussians and then carried and issued by the Bavarians prior to, and after, 1918.

These old 11mm revolvers often have quite an interesting story to tell.
Warm welcome,
I apologize that perhaps a little off topic, as mercantile and not historical, but due to the trace of sales offer I am not able to grasp the parameter: how are the prices of this model of revolver on the militaria market.
Of course, I am asking in general about the order of value, without getting into the nuances: exchange, dealer, primary market....though there are certainly significant discrepancies in this area.
Thank you very much for any information on the subject.
Sincerely.
Piotr

Piotr,

These Reichsrevolvers, in good collectible condition, seem to sell in the $1500. - $1800. range that I see sell. They are scarce in nice condition and ones with mechanical or condition problems simply do not sell in my experience. I agree with Willi that the "EWB" marked ones sell for more money simply because of the markings, so that can effect price too.

I hope this is helpful.

Piotr,

These Reichsrevolvers, in good collectible condition, seem to sell in the $1500. - $1800. range that I see sell. They are scarce in nice condition and ones with mechanical or condition problems simply do not sell in my experience. I agree with Willi that the "EWB" marked ones sell for more money simply because of the markings, so that can effect price too.

I hope this is helpful.
Kindly thank You for the tip, it is very helpful.
Well, precisely, the problem is the state of preservation of the artifact. I have come across several copies of the Reichsrevolver Model 1879 in mediocre condition and at widely varying, sometimes even unrealistic prices, but I go on the assumption that I am only happy with a revolver in very good condition. I hope to find one someday and try to acquire one.
Once again, thank You very much for spposing the value of this beautiful historical weapon.
My best regards

Back