Model 1892 Wilkinson

Lost Skeleton

Mention Wilkinson Sword, and, depending on one's interests, anything from bayonets to razor blades will come to mind. However, for British officer's purchasing swords from Wilkinson, the following convenience item was provided. Though manufactured by Webley, the design and finish are, no pun intended, a cut above.

2Wilkinson.jpg

The grip is one-piece wrap-around walnut with a Wilkinson serial number impressed at the base. Theoretically, the revolver can be traced to its original owner through Wilkinson Sword records.

1Wilkinson.jpg

A close-up of the cylinder, chambered for .455 caliber. Note the six pointed star bearing the initials "HW" (Henry Wilkinson).

4Wilkinson.jpg

The top strap is engraved with the following:

3Wilkinson.jpg

For comparison is an issued Webley Mark VI Service Revolver. Note the differences in the cylinder cams, triggers, barrels, and front sights.

2Webley.jpg

1Webley.jpg

Chas.

Chas: Very nice early version of the 1892 Wilkinson Webley with single cyinder cam support. Congratulations.

Reservist1

I do not think I have ever seen one before? Perhaps I have, but swooshed past the case at a show as at first glance it looks like a standard rhino-stopping Webley.

Chas,
Super set!!! One question.... The spur behind the trigger on the Wilkinson is that an extention of the hammer? Bill

Thank you one and all for the compliments. Bill, I'm not certain if this is correct Wilkinson nomenclature, but I believe the part is called a double action fly. It is pinned to the hammer and utilizes a spring. The hammer is released when the trigger contacts the fly.

I contacted the present owner of the Wilkinson firearms records, and hope to learn something about the original purchaser of the revolver. It will be interesting to see what turns up.

Chas.

Nice piece , I had one and had to pass it on . But it was a poor comparison to the shape yours is in . I parted with it and the NWMP holster for it.
MArk

Hi Mark:

Did you happen to save any pictures of your Wilkinson? The Model 1892 was produced, with modifications, until 1914.

I received a very courteous and detailed reply from Richard Milner, who owns the surviving Wilkinson records. The revolver bears two serial numbers, the Webley number on the barrel and cylinder, and the Wilkinson on the butt. Unfortunately, the sales record for my revolver does not survive, but I did learn it was manufactured toward the end of 1892.

My hopes of it once belonging to Lieutenant-General Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell have been dashed. :D

Chas.

Chas,

Very nice piece! You mentioned that it may belong to Baden Powell, is this THE Baden Powell, father of the Scout movement?

Bambang

Hi Bambang:

That would be the same Baden-Powell, but I was only joking. Baden-Powell, learned many of the skills that evolved into scoutcraft during his military career in India, Africa, and Malta. His ingenuity and cunning enabled the British to withstand the Seige of Mafeking, which lasted 217 days, during the Second Anglo Boer War.

He may have carried a Webley Wilkinson, but not this one.

However, kudos to you for making the connection. I wondered if anyone would. =D>

Chas.

Sorry The one I had came with no paper's so i had to pass it on as up here that is a BIG no no . Unfortunatley I did not take any photo's of it The date on it was 1892 .The holster was stamped 1911 and was made in Ottawa ,the NWMP was written in the inside cover . I do miss the piece ,it dwarfed my 1943 enfeild in .38 .Wish I had more info.
Mark

I didn't find much at the SOS, but this Webley & Scott Mark IV represents the latest addition to my English revolver collection. The Mark IV was manufactured from 1899-1913, first seeing service in the Boer War, and is more frequently encountered with a 4" barrel. The following measures 6."

P1010133.jpg

The barrel top is incised "Army & Navy C.S.L.," which identifies the revolver as being sold through the Army & Navy Cooperative Society of London. The cooperative was founded by military officers in 1871 and provided necessities and luxuries at a substantial savings. C.S.L. records indicate this Mark IV was purchased by a Colonel Wood (or, Ward) in 1901.

P1010135.jpg

The complete absence of the crown property "Broad Arrow" is further evidence of private purchase.

P1010131.jpg

The Mark IV was superceded by the Mark V in 1913. Little changed, however, as both models feature a "bird-beak" grip, optional four or six inch barrels, and integral front sight. The events of 1914 resulted in further modifications, including a more conventional squared grip, and the new model, officially introduced in 1915, was designated the Mark VI.

Though technically obsolete by 1915, Mark IV and Mark V revolvers saw plenty of action in the war, and, at some juncture, Colonel Wood's weapon found a new owner.

P1010128.jpg

P1010129.jpg

One can only ponder the circumstances.

Chas.

For a lark, I just finished a search of London Gazette archives to see if any information existed on "J. C. M. Doran." I wasn't expecting to find anything as the name Doran resulted in 139 random matches. However, on my seventh purely arbitrary pick of records dating from 1914 to 1919, I hit paydirt.

John Crampton Morton Doran, Army Service Corps, first appears in the Gazette as a Captain in June 1914 attached to the South Midland Divisional Transport and Supply Column. By 1915, Doran was a Major and had become Deputy Assistant Quartermaster-General. In 1916, Doran was made a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order.

Now that I have some leads to follow, it should be a piece of cake researching Doran further.

Not bad, in my opinion, acquiring a revolver whose second hand was a DSO winner.

Chas.

Hmm...must be "Weapon Week". Nice addition Chas, and the advantage is, if you ever see a charging rhino in your neighborhood, you would be able to stop it. Question: have you ever fired any of your handguns? Or are they strictly collector's pieces to you?

Hi Tony:

I have yet to fire any of the .455s, but I have put my other pistols and rifles to the test. A company called "Quality Cartridge" manufactures .455 Webley 250gr RNFP, but at 80¢ a round, I'm being stingy.

http://qual-cart.com/

Someday, it will happen. I have a box of 50 waiting for the right opportunity.

Chas.

Back