Modest Acquisition

Lost Skeleton

When I was first bitten by this hobby, I would have been thrilled to find a bargain like this. Now, fifteen odd years later, it seems like even more of a bargain. The local community college presented a small (and I do mean small) military show a few weeks back. When the seller saw me inspect this item on his table, he volunteered, "I can do better on the price, if you're really interested." I thanked him, went on my way, and wound up buying a WWI trio and documents to an A.B. who was attached to HMS BARHAM at Jutland, and, long before that, DREADNOUGHT.

Nevertheless, I continued to think about the helmet.

I returned to the show the following day, and there it sat, as before, on the table. I spoke again to the dealer, and brought the P'haube home for $375.00. It was without Kokarden and CS, but as I had both in my spare parts, it didn't take long to set things right. Yes, the CS is a repro, but it is correctly made with decent looking slider buckles.

LCC-M95.jpg

The neck peak is marked R 28: Inf-Regt. von Goeben (2. Rheinisches) Nr. 28. Nothing special here, other than rock solid condition.

R28.jpg

It's far removed from Alan's find of the century, but if there is a point to all this, new collectors take heart. It's still possible to find something decent at a reasonable price, and it doesn't require a trip to the bloated venues. The next treasure could be closer than you think.

Looks good. As much as I like the M-15's, the older brass trimmed ones always "pop" on the shelf

Keith

Congratulations, Chas, that's really exciting to see such a great helmet that was acquired for a very reasonable price, at a fun small venue show! =D>

Yes, they're still out there, and it's surprising when & where they sometimes turn up at. Sometimes it's simply all about luck, combined with being in the right place at the right time. For me it involves going to lots of gun shows on weekends. Sitting there with a small display, and talking to lots of people. Most of the time nothing ever pans out for me doing that. But you never know, so I keep trying! :)

Again, Congratulations on an excellent find! :bravo:

All the Best,

Alan

Wow! Thanks one and all for ringing in. My first M95 was a lousy mess with loose visors, rotted liner, and repro parts (defects not disclosed by the seller, but I won't name names). It came with an original private purchase cover and cost $500.00 in pre-millennium dollars. Long before this forum existed, Brian stitched the visors and smoothed out the blemishes, and we became good friends in the bargain. Even though the helmet was vastly improved through restoration, I was never happy with it, and it found a new home years ago.

I suppose this is a "do over" because I never filled the void created by that "common" Preußen M95 until now. This example will eventually find a new home, too, but I intend to savor it for the moment.

Back