Modified Wuerttembergische Haube?

Steglitz

Hello,

Acquired this interesting case and curious if anyone would be able to make sense of it.

Helmet has a Wuerttembergische Kokarde that appears to have been there a while (teeth impressed into the leather) and a Preussisches Wappen which also appears to have been there a while with leather ties.

The spine appears to have been modified with two holes not being used.

In addition to this, "Rosa" is written on the inside in pencil.

Is there any reason it should be this way, or was this item likely pieced together? I am considering correcting it by putting on a Wuerttembergisches Wappen.

NMiW3Zb.jpg

leRWvMm.jpg

ZqSKMzT.jpg

Xa62nC5.jpg

y19qiSz.jpg

Regarding the extra spine holes, this is fairly common as it gave options as to where the spine prong could be soldered on the spine. Having a Wurttemberg kokarde on the helmet is not really an indicator of this being a Wurtt. Helmet. Many collectors back in the day did not know about the state colours on kokarden. They did not have the internet or reference books we have today. Your helmet plate fits tight to the shell which suggests to me that this is original and that your helmet is a typical Prussian model 1915. A Wurtt wappen would most likely not fit correctly with the original holes in your shell. The location and distance between the wappen loops vary from state to state. What does concern me is the difference in colour/patina between the metal fittings. Perhaps it is just the lighting in your pics but the wappen and spine seem to be a different colour to the spike and visor trim. If so, this would suggest that some of your parts come from a different helmet. As to which parts are original to the helmet...... I would look at the M91 side posts and visor trim colour and use that as “ original fittings colour” . Side posts can be removed but it would be easy to tell by scratches on prongs and tin washers. Visor trim is hard to retro fit on a helmet as well. My two cents anyway.

Thanks Brian,

I think this solved the mystery.

Checking under the liner and looking at the side posts shows some fresher scratches.

Also, removing the chinstrap (probably a repro?) I see the Kokarden are sandwiched under the posts. Someone probably found some Kokarden took needle nose pliers to the posts and slapped it together because they liked the look.

Well darn, wish it was a Wuerttembergische, but still a nice Preussische.

gHNQ7CH.jpg

ltNryX2.jpg

b.loree said:
Regarding the extra spine holes, this is fairly common as it gave options as to where the spine prong could be soldered on the spine.

Hi Brian,
You´re right, those two holes up and down of the rear spine fixation always are at this place on M95 helmets. But I rather think, that they simply are ventilation holes to allow a permanent ventilation under the rear spine, between the slot on the back visor and the vent hole on the rear spine, going into the helmet through those two small holes. So fresh air is penetrating this way into the back of helmet, is going around the head to the main ventilation hole under the dome of helmet and at least through the five ventilation holes of the spike.
Just this way:

Philippe
:wink:

The shot of the inside of the M91 post tells all....an original factory install would have all those prongs flat and tight to the shell. I believe your strap is a repro. because it doesn’t fit close to the shell at the side posts and the lack of beveled edges on the buckles. The strap leather should also only be dyed on one side so check that. That makes a lot of sense Philippe :thumb up: .

Back