More Dragoons From SOS 2020 KAGGR#!

Wonderful haul.

Just a question on DR25 Wurttemberg, shouldn't the removable spike have the pearlring(not the officer type) near the throat?

To be honest Feldgrau is not my cup of tea .I do not own many .
My collection is mostly pre war .When it comes to Feldgrau I don't
think everything is by the regulations .I n some cases I would guess
that they used what they had .I think the helmet is dated 1916
I will re look .For example we know that Kurassiere helmets took
the large kokards but how many had we seen with small kokards
I have seen so few Wurttemberg Dragoon Feldgrau e m helmets
I have nothing to go by
What is your reference ? I will look it up
Steve McFarland

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply as Singapore govt has not ordered to shut any schools so my care centre has to continue to operate.

I refer to Col Joe Robinson's site and he has couple of M15 dragoon with the removable spikes and they all have the small pearlring at the base of the removable spike.

Here's the pic - Sorry Joe, I didn't ask you for permission to copy the pics here.

Attachments

• dragoon m15 2.jpg
    dragoon m15 2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,640
  • dragoon m15 3.jpg
    dragoon m15 3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 4,641
  • dragoon m15 4.jpg
    dragoon m15 4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4,641
  • dragoon m15.jpg
    dragoon m15.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 4,640
Thanks .Maybe my D R has the wrong spike ?
or late issue they used what they had .
thanks for the info
the idea of finding a spike like that I don't think is too good
so after 50 years of collecting I learn a new lesson every day
Steve McFarland

Steve, I recently acquired the dragoon M15 which has no Spike and that's why I did the research ams realised that the spike had to be removable with the pearls at the throat.

I don't think it's easy to find the spike but time will tell.

Good luck to us both to look for the same spike.

It's really rare to find a M15 wurttemberg cavalry. Well done!

Amybellars said:
Steve, I recently acquired the dragoon M15 which has no Spike and that's why I did the research ams realised that the spike had to be removable with the pearls at the throat.

There was one for sale on ebay lately. Average condition, dirty and partly oxydised, but untouched, with a DR marking and in a way attractive. The typical, real "attic find". No spike though. Otherwise I might have gone after it.

911car said:
Amybellars said:

There was one for sale on ebay lately. Average condition, dirty and partly oxydised, but untouched, with a DR marking and in a way attractive. The typical, real "attic find". No spike though. Otherwise I might have gone after it.
A wurttemberg one or prussian one??

I think you are referring to this one. I bought it from EBAY last month. The front and rear visors were dislodged and they were made of cardboard and I spent a while stitching them back together. The liner is period. It did not have any spike, I don't have the correct spike for it so I put on an M15 spike for the time being.

Attachments

• dragoon prussian m15.jpg
    dragoon prussian m15.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 4,548
This is it, Amy. I am glad you won the auction. It is a good one; Dragoner M15s are rare birds. What is the marking? DR7? DR8?
I wish you can find a spike with Perlring.

:) Thank you Bruno. I don't remember reading the part that says it has markings and I couldn't seeing DR7 or DR8 on it. It has another set of markings which I have no clue what it is.
There are extra holes that were there and other than that, liner is supple, visors have been stitched up. So not bad and you can't reject a rare bird.

Attachments

• 20200407_091016_resized.jpg
    20200407_091016_resized.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 4,514
  • 20200407_091116_resized.jpg
    20200407_091116_resized.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 4,514
  • 20200407_091144_resized.jpg
    20200407_091144_resized.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 4,514
  • 20200407_091155_resized.jpg
    20200407_091155_resized.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 4,514
Nice helmet Amy!

B.I.A VII stands for Bekleidungs Instandsetzungs Amt VII, the repairdepot were it was probable redone, the F stands for Feldmassig, good to be used in the field.

Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:

Amy, look at the left part of the rear bill. I had the impression that 7D could be made out, in whitish colour.
I may be completely wrong...

So Amy was the one who had the winning bid on that M15 Prussian dragoon helmet from eBay a while back. Congratulations Amy! I saw that it had very thin cardboard/ersatz visors on it from the auction photos.

We all missed out on a super rare M15 Dragoon enlisted spike that sold on eBay when we were at the SOS on February 23rd. I tried to get the seller to take it off the helmet and sell it separately, but he wouldn't do that. The spike was on a "beater" Prussian e.m. M15 helmet with a missing liner, repro kokardes and repro chinstrap. Some lucky soul won the auction for $330. They probably wanted the helmet just for the rare spike, and rightly so if they did. Whoever got it probably isn't a forum member here, and most likely among the countless numbers of unknown silent "closet collectors" out there.

I'll post some photos of the spike and helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

dragoon spike 1.jpg

dragoon spike 2.jpg

dragoon spike 4.jpg

dragoon spike 6.jpg

dragoon spike 5.jpg

Fantastic Helmets Steve! :bravo: =D>

It was great to see you again at the SOS, and to be able to see some of these fine helmets in person! :thumb up:

Best Wishes,

Alan

911car said:
Amy, look at the left part of the rear bill. I had the impression that 7D could be made out, in whitish colour.
I may be completely wrong...

Bruno,
You have a pair of very sharp eyes and yes indeed it is 7D and size 57.

I must go and train up my eyesight but I realised that as i age, my eyesight really goes, sad but true. But there again, maybe eyesight long gone when I chose my husband for love is blind [-o< :lol:

Back