More Manufacturing Photos

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
John P. sent me some additional manufacture photos:
000123jpg-S.jpg

005-S.jpg

Once again, crowded conditions, stacks of helmets both felt M15's, felt with brass fittings and tin ersatz.

More original photos of haube manufacture. These were posted by member joe rookery several years ago. My thanks to James for tracking them down again.
17020140136_6df7fb614a_n-Th.jpg

Haube shells on racks and exterior finish being dried.
17045325701_f17cb15e82_b-L.jpg

No women in this shot which would lead me to think it is pre war or early on in the struggle. We do see one of those liner crimping machines being used in the middle ground left. On the right, putting fittings on shells. Note the large windows used to admit lots of natural light!
helmabzei3-300x209-Th.jpg

Military assembling tin "kit helmets"

Many thanks for this post :bravo:
Hope to see photos like these with a workshop for leather Helmets... I spent a lot of time to find those old photographs but unfortunately without success :(

I just found a site with an article from Brian Gnuse (nebraska.tv), about allied WW1 item reproduction.
The worker in this article (Steffan Baker) uses a similar machine and it seems to be used to cut off leather from the liner.
For German helmets the machine could have been used to bead the sheet metal edges and to pinch the leather in the Ersatz-Pickelhaube and maybe also to cut the tongues into the leather?
645CE804-64F1-4837-B319-9FAE92BFEEC2.jpeg
(Source: https://nebraska.tv/features/ntvs-good-life/world-war-1-reproduction-items-are-created-by-ord-man )

Depending on the wheels mounted on this tool, it can be used for several different functions. Trimming, beading, crimping

Back