My first Haube!!

aterrasse

Dear All,

I have now received my first haube! A very exciting thing indeed although I know that there is still a world to learn. here is the link to the pics posted:

http://zline.eu/forum/index.php?showtopic=3461&pid=33824&st=0&#entry33824

The helmet looks good to me. Kokarden are all original so is the chinstrap. The helmet is marked in the inside to the 18th Foot Artillery Reg. and dated 1915 both in the inside of the rear skirk and the dome. I am happy with the piece but I have two questions:-

1) The helmet is most likely of the 1895 model with brass fittings. The rear spine, therefore, should have a ventilation hole. In this case, however, it has none. If I look inside the helmet, there is definitely a hole in the dome for the ventilation system there. Should I therefore conclude that the spine is a post war replacement or could it simply be a genuine manufacture defect? Looking very closely (and I hope the pics helps) it looks like the spine has been there for a very long time and it is firmly attached to the helmet. The two attachment pins in the inside also have their appropriate washers. What do you think????

2) I note that the wappen is of a slighly brighter gild colour than the rest of the fittings. Is it expectable on a helmet of this type or is it a sign that the wrappen was later added to the piece? Again, please let me have your comments.

I am sorry for attaching a link to an other forum of which I am a member and hope you will not mind too much. By the time I work out how to post pics on this Forum, Internet will probably be completely outdated!!

I look forward to hearing from you

Best regards

Alex,

Congratulation on your first 'haube, but like Mark, I can't see any photos on the other forum. Can you please post them here?

Alex,

Perhaps I'm missing the unit markings but that helmet sure looks nice. Foot artillery markings are not that common and can be very varied. So if you have a good 1 -- add it to the list!

The color differences in metal fixings always bothered me. The best treatment of this that I have read was written by Tony on this forum.
http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1269

Air vents for artillery helmets is a topic with a lot of questions. Probably two or three years ago the vast majority of collectors had never heard that there was a difference. Today like Depot Marks, it is considered "common knowledge." That is probably true but many people do not understand the Genesis. Tony has a great chronologically structured explanation of rear vents on his website. I can recommend you fully to that. The difference in the artillery spines comes out of the Bekleidungsordnung from 1903. It is logical that it existed prior to that probably with the conversion of the helmets. However, I do not have proof of a start date. What is really interesting to me is that I do not know an end date. M15 artillery helmets of both varieties have been found. Was that a wartime expedient? Did the lack of vents end at some point?
Enl_14.jpg

Here is another interesting point. The regulation shown above deals specifically with Field artillery helmets. There is no similar statement for foot artillery. The way they did business this is pretty common -- however it does leave the door open.

Seems like you did a great job for a first child! The very best thing you are doing is seeking knowledge. God bless and congratulations.

Dear friends,

First, I would like to apologise to everyone for providing a link which did not give you access to the pics of the helmet in question. This link if from a good Forum but I believe that one needs to acquire the "veteran" status before being able to view posts there.

I attach another link which should work fine:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2241534&posted=1#post2241534

Thank you Joe for your very informative comments. I will peruse Tony's site further regarding this issue of rear air ventilation!

I fear that the "Haube-Mania" is growing in me gentlemen, so much that I am already lined up for my next purchase!!!!! If everything works out fine, it should be a M15 Saxonian - to be followed.

Best regards

No fotos here either Alex. I tried both of your links and got nothing. If you like, email me at [email protected] and I will try to walk you through posting pics on this forum. All the best, Brian

b.loree said:
No fotos here either Alex. I tried both of your links and got nothing. If you like, email me at [email protected] and I will try to walk you through posting pics on this forum. All the best, Brian

That is a very kind offer Brian. I am so useless with computer and technology generally speaking, it is alarming!!

I have sent you the pics via e-mail.

Thanks

Back