My first Off.Pickelhaube- Dragon Reserv.Officer

Sadowa

• Hello friends,

first of all my best wishes and Happy New Year 2009 to all of you here.

And now to my topic:
    Time ago I have bought this on eBay and I was happy. But after some days I have started to have some doubts about some aspects of this helmet.I am a bit familiar with prussian infantery issued helmet but not with cavalry and officers one. So I would be happy to know your oppinion and to get some infos from you.Now look at the helmet and then I will depict the aspects I can not understand

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

1/ the spike is not removable-but by the Dragons use to be -for parade plume.But after getting down the cruciforme base "the gost" reveals that this base there was originaly and not any else:

KreutzblatL.jpg

Ghost4.jpg

Kreutzblatrev2.jpg

2/ the Eagle- at first sight it is cleary visible that it is larger or higher to the own helmet.But again-the Ghost says that the plate belongs there.The first thing I did -I have confirmed it with Dragon Reserve Off.helmet on Tony´s Kaiser Bunker and then I reveal another differences:
    see the Kaiser Bunker´s link here : http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh67.htm

1/ the edge of the eagle´s neck is by mine nor serrated
    2/ the shape of the tail feathers and knees are different
    3/ the scepter of mine is on the upper part doubled
    4/ the side line of the wings is "B" shaped

Orlice02.jpg

Orlice04.jpg

Orlicerev1.jpg

Ghost1.jpg

3/ the Kokarde seems to be smaller-is not visible the black central part behind the chinscale-but diametr is correct 51 mm.From reverse there is smaller circle made from fiber or pressed leather or so??-is it correct so?

P3-detail.jpg

01kokardaA.jpg

02kokardaR.jpg

I will be appreciative for your comments.

best regards,Alexandr

This helmet is perfect! It exhibits all of the characteristics I would expect to see in a helmet of about 1880- I'll detail them. First, do not worry about the affixed spike; this helmet was for daily wear and the owner would have had another for parade (I've generally noted this feature in helmets of this era). Its "stubby" height is also typical of early helmets. I've parted with my early helmets so I can't illustrate this with an example. The cockade is also an early one, and its positioning is correct for a pre-1897 helmet. This type of ring on it, with the single row of angled lines, was later worn exclusively by NCO's, but at this earlier date is often observed worn by officers. The plate is simply spectacular, being of a really nice detailed heavy quality. Had it not been for the calf skin and silk liner vs. the multi-tounged liner of earlier helmets, I would have dated this piece from the 1870's. Congratulations on a rare and beautiful helmet.

I'm sorry, but I just can't say enough about this helmet! The heavy bevelled rear visor covered with real "book quality" leather, and that fine quality liner with its pronounced and beautifully serrated scallops, topped by the thin and crinkly silk head liner, is absolutely in keeping with the era of this helmet. The more I look at that helmet plate, the more I think its the best example I've seen...yummy!

Hello Sadowa: A very nice pre 1897 Dragoon reserve officer helmet. For comparison purposes here is a near twin to your helmet.

dragoffsl9.jpg

dragoffrly9.jpg

Reservist1

Minnesota Slim said:
//a helmet I still do not have //

MY GAWD!!

NOOoooo!!!!

NOOoooooooooooooo!!!!

Sheesh James. You sound like me now. (snort) :blackeye:

Sadowa, marvellous helmet. I really find that collector's develop a preference for the absurdly tall spikes, or the short early spikes on officer examples. And the Kokarde confuses many people, but only when looking backwards. At the time, I'm sure it confused no-one. Congratulations on a great find. Wonderful! Perhaps I could do a side-by-side comparison shot of your Wappen and the one on my site you referred to? It might be interesting. T

Sandowa, you have a great helmet there!
Only one question: Why did you dismantle the helmet? The ghost of the eagle and the imprint of the cruciform base are visible without taking the helmet apart... There is a risk the splitpens of the chinstraps might break by bending them again...

Greetings from Belgium,

Adler

Sandowa

Here is another twin to your helmet with the single cockade and fixed spike, but with the pre-1880 liner. This type of helmet was also used for Prussian Landwehr-Kavallerie officers. With three perfect examples of the smaller "nco" cockade utilized on older officer helmets, has any one pin-pointed when the larger three-ring "officer" cockades were initially utilized (obviously prior to 1897)?

Regards

Dave

• Hi friends,

thanks to all of you for informations- yes,now I am happy of my helmet again.All the clouds of doubts are swept away!
    To Arran- this info " helmet was for daily wear and the owner would have had another for parade" this is very valuable info for me.
    To Reservist1-very nice helmet-thanks for sharring
    To Dave-your Eagle is really twin of mine
    To Tony-it would be very good to make the comparison we all will be looking forward to.
    To Adler- the parts are get back without any damage

Thanks again to all of you-let us spend this night in good condition-Happy New Year!!!!

Alexandr

• Forwarded for Bruno:

Your helmet is perfectly genuine and excellent. Congratulations.
    I have attached pictures of his cousin. It is an older model Oldenburg
    Dragoner officer helmet. See the similarities with yours (shape, short
    spike, cockade...). The only problem of mine is that it is missing the
    reserve cross (but the holes are present), and I have not yet found one
    to add.
    Feel free to post my pictures on the forum if you want.
    Best wishes for 2009,
    Bruno

IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/Sadowa/Picture2273.jpg[/IMG]
    Picture2280.jpg

Picture2288.jpg

Picture2283.jpg
    [/img]

Thank you for posting this helmet and it is a real beauty & absolutely perfect. I am new to the site and the information you provided was of great help to me as yesterday I found at a shop a helmet almost exactly the same except it had the Prussian eagle plate with no motto or cross on it . I have not owned a picklehaube in over 20yrs so was unsure of it's correctness as it had the fixed spike and single cockade. I am sure it is correct now after seeing yours as they are virtually identical thank you again and everyone here for the font of information

Anton

• Hi Anton,

welcome here in the forum.I am realy happy that this info have helped you.I hope that you will share with your new "catch".
    Best regards,Alexandr

Fabulous helmets all round here gentlemen!! Congrats to everyone who posted pics. I have a similar OYV helme (not reserve) in my collection. Everything is officer except for the lack of star studs. Brian

b.loree said:
// I have a similar OYV helme (not reserve) in my collection. //

Well shucks Mr. Loree, some photo shore would be nice.

See also this thread >> http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3844

Hi Alexandr , Thank you and it's a great site, there are so many beautiful helmets it makes your head spin!

When I get a camera I'll take some pictures but I need to do a bit of work on it first as the stiching has seperated in some areas and I'll want to steam it to reshape it better...

I had not owned one of these in years and this is only the second officer I have ever had as most of the time when I found them back then they were the standard grey metal EM type...

When I get a camera I'll take some pictures but I need to do a bit of work on it first as the stiching has seperated in some areas and I'll want to steam it to reshape it better...

I think it would be very interesting for all of us to see your helmet in as found condition.....Perhaps somebody can advise you the best way how to "treat" your helmet.

Best regards,Alexandr

I restore helmets for collectors all the time, perhaps I can be of some assistance? Some pics of the helmet as it is now would really help. Brian

Back