My first Pickelhaube, 1976.

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
I was digging around today for something, and came across the receipt for my first Pickelhaube, bought when I was 15 in 1976. I have read stories about guys that were buying Pickelhaubes for $25, $50 etc in the USA, but I had never even seen one of these for sale before, so $175 seemed like a great price. That was a lot of my lawn-cutting and snow-shovelling for neighbours money, but the helmet is still here, and still one of my favourites. I have yet to see another helmet with the high-gloss lacquer that this one has. And a wonderful owners markng to Landwehr Inf. - Regt. Nr. 31. Click HERE to see more photos.

dbh07_receipt.jpg

dbh07.jpg

Hey Tony,
My first Pickelhaube was purchased by my mother for a Christmas present in 68 for $19.50, but it is not in the same league as yours. Mine is a stink common M1915 with repro Kockarden and repro chin strap, the condion is good, but nowhere near what yours is. And on top of that, at that time the Canadian$ was about $.60 US. In my opinion, you did get a great deal on your first one. I can not find anything comperable in the catalogues of the time, but the higher end Pickelhauben were bringing $85 to $150. Granted, there were some nice helmets picked up for little money, but that is not the norm.
Best wishes
Gus
ps Did I say "Nice helmet!"

Everyone has to start somewhere--------at least that is
what I am hoping :D

I know that $175 seems like a very cheap price to pay for a helmet.
In 1976 I was 20 years old and working as a mechanic at a Pontiac
dealership. $175 was more than a full weaks take home pay.

gregM said:
$175 was more than a full weaks take home pay.
Yeah, but that was Canadian dollars, it is not like it was real money, and besides, compair the current value of the helmet, and it will still be more than a weeks take home pay.
Gus

Gustaf said:
// My first Pickelhaube was purchased by my mother for a Christmas present in 68 for $19.50, but it is not in the same league as yours.

That is still amazingly cheap though. Wow. Its a supply issue as well as the time, as in Calgary Alberta where I grew up, even at the huge gun show every Easter, in the 70s Pickelhaube just were not seen for sale. When I see photos and talk to American friends, I hear of tables of Pickelhaubes in the "Good old days", so there has always been far more selection in the US than up here..... Like I said, $175 was months and months of saving money for a 15 year old from doing chores for neighbours, but it seemed like a great opportunity, having never seen one for sale before, and I just got lucky ( as I was going in blind) by getting such a great helmet.

People visiting often ask what my favourite helmet is, expecting it to be the Garde Kürassier, Hessen, etc, but I'd have to say that its probably that shiny 1st one.

By the way, that helmet has never seen polish in the 32 years I've had it, beyond cleaning off the dust with a soft cloth. It is one of the few surviving examples of just how brilliant the lacquer was on these things, even on an issued example.

I have handled this beauty and as usual T even at this young age you had an eye for quality! My first haube was an M15 Prussian bought in Toronto but the liner had red rot and the shell was shrunken and dry. I had no clue as to what to watch for in a helmet. Once I had a bit more savy, I got rid of it in a trade for something better. I have no regrets regarding it as it sucked. I do still have my first piece of militaria though.....a WW1 CEF bayonette purchased for me by my mother when I was 16. She paid $10 for it and I had pestered her for many weeks before I got my way! Thank God for mothers who love their little boys! Brian

My first spike helmet was found by my uncle in a garden on the countryside in Western France... adorning the head of a scarecrow! There was then little respect for these trophies.
It stayed in the family, and I eventually received it when I was about 13. I still have it...
Bruno

Oh it is in a terrible shape, all rusted and tattered (you know, the kind of stuff you see on ebay "in overall good condition for its age"). Just imagine a M15 that spent months, maybe years outside in the rain and cold. But okay, I will make a picture.
Bruno

Greg- they are like Potato chips, you can never have just one!

I purchased my first one with my brother around 15 years ago, thought it would be cool to have one! They are like rabitts, they like to multiply :D

Minnesota Slim said:
// I purchased my first one with my brother around 15 years ago, thought it would be cool to have one! They are like rabitts, they like to multiply :D

No kidding, from one, to....... Still got the #1 James?

Tony I lost count :) somewhere over 100 and less then 125

Not buying as many as I used to, getting pickier as I get older and holding off for better condition helms.

Yes, we still have #1 Prussian M95

James

It's here \:D/
I will put it up for review once I am able to get some pictures.
It's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home so
that may take a while. :cry:

Back