My First Pickelhaube (cont'd.) - Some Photos

Mike9999

First, apologies for the quality of these photos. My lovely wife was kind enough to snap these for me, so I can't complain (too much :)

From what I've seen of other pcikelhaubes on the forum, this is definitely not an award winning pickelhaube, but I think it can become a nice representative display example without breaking the bank. Although very humble when compared to the others I have seen on the forum.

Hopfully these images come through ok.

Again, many thanks for the info and bearing with a novice for 'repeat' beginner questions.

Front with the two sets of wappen holes. Original holes are ~83mm, center to center. Newer set is ~72mm. center to center. Is it possible to tell the wappen plate from these?

ph1.jpg

Repair Depot stamp of B.J.A. VIII over 1918F. Another mark to the right that has been painted over.

ph2.jpg

Hand painted, lower case script 't.'

ph3.jpg

Side view. There are a couple extra holes to the lower left of the post. Same on opposite side.

ph4.jpg

Line, showing how it was made of two pieces of leather.

ph5.jpg

Mike,

There are no novice or repeat questions. We even have a thread for basic questions http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1451 Everything that gets asked makes everyone think of different things. I appreciate the photos -- thank you -- we do not have a copy of the BJA VIII Mark in our file. Can I use your photo? Just tell me what you want added to the contributors list. http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Kammer_Marks.html

I don't think in this case you can tell the difference in Wappen. They were very possibly both Prussian. From what I have seen so far it appears as though the spacing of the loops was dependent upon the manufacturer.

Regularly the same suppliers supplied the same corps. While at first this might mean nothing, most makers had similar grommet measurements for their helmets.
So all wappen supplied by that maker should have the same measurements between mounting hardware. In a case like the maker Julius Jansen he supplied many of the helmets for both XIV and XV corps. So you can have a Prussian eagle and Baden Griffin on an issue helmet made by Jansen that have the same distance between mounting hardware. The pictures below are of two M15s from Jansen and the two wappen though original have grommets the same distance apart.
DepotMarks_22.jpg

Hi Joe -

Many thanks, again. You of course are more than welcome to use the photo. I have a quite good photo setup in the shop, so when I become a bit more mobile I will take a better picture. One that shows the entire mark and date with the 'F' postfix.
It sounds like finding a plate that fits may be a challenge. But, the 'hunt' is at least 50% of the fun!

It would be an honor to be added to your list of contributors. 'Mike Sullivan' would be fine.

As an aside, I'm on a couple of other Great War sites. Here is one that you might find interesting. I've been fortunate to acquire several UB88 pieces, including an original blueprint of the UB88 from the Wilhelmshaven Base. It is of the ship's Ballast Structure. Wouldn't I like to dive to that wreck though!

I should focus on one area, but the entire period is so fascinating I can't help myself. :)

http://www.ub88.org/
http://www.ub88.org/1919_024.html

- Mike

Very cool, I have never seen that sort of "pieced liner " before. It looks very thin and typical of a war time refurbished helmet. I have come accross what I believe are liners made from Rabbit skin pieced together. Has anyone else??? Thanks for the pics. Brian

b.loree said:
Very cool, I have never seen the "pieced liner " before. It looks very thin and typical of a war time refurbished helmet I have come accross what I believe are liners made from Rabbit skin pieced together. Has anyone else??? Thanks for the pics. Brian

Thanks Brian -

Yes, the liner is paper thin. I am amazed that there isn't one torn finger. Interesting about the 'rabbit skin' liner. I'm afraid I am not able to tell the difference. It's been many a year since I skinned one. There are a few running around, they had better watch out!

There is a portion of a leather 'drawstring' left, but not much. I've seen this wartimie, multi-piece liner on the French and Russian Adrian helmets.

- Mike

Back