My first Uhlan helmet! - Opinion

aterrasse

Dear All,

here are some pictures on my first uhlan helmet for your kind review. The piece looks completely original to me. The added bonus is that it came with its helmet cover correctly regiment marked!!! Photos to follow.

I would love to have your coments about this one. I have a question about the mortarboard: if this is a M15 model, shouldn't the flat top be made of metal and detachable from the rest of the helmet. here, it looks like it is it solidly fixed to the body of the helmet. Also, it is not made of metal but some kind of ersatz material or black resin on the top with one hole on each side. The cockade is removable and fits correctly within the top. The knebel is present and attached is a wooden dowel held by two pieces of black leather struck together. Any idea :???:

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

aterrasse said:
// if this is a M15 model, shouldn't the flat top be made of metal and detachable from the rest of the helmet. //
There are two types, first pattern fixed metal, second pattern removable sheet metal. But both are with removable sheet metal. What does the inside look like in the center where the top hole is?

I would have to unfortunately vote with Brad, that someone appears to have made a replacement top from leather.

Very strange, I never seen such a tschapka before... I do believe that it's a remplacement. Could you please send us some pics of the interior of the shell?

Maxime

Dear All,

Well, the comments do not sound very encouraging so far. Thank you for your honesty.

Here are additional pictures for your kind review.

Uhlan11.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Liner looks original but a bit beat up...as is common. I would love to have that numbered uberzug!!! Obviously, the suspect component is the mortar board top. If this were my tschapka, I would check the stitching on the top for irregularities...are the stitches equidistant or obviously hand stitched? If machine stitched then are there marks in the finish from the foot of the sewing machine? There should be none present. I would also look for sanding marks in the finish of the mortar top. If a new top were put on then obviously it had to be refinished in some sort of manner. This requires some hand sanding in order to smooth things out. The easiest and most amateur means of refinishing is to use black boot polish. Is the top finish soft ie shoe polish? One last question to the forum members.....has anyone seen one of these M15s with spilt brads holding the base on to the shell? All of the ones that I have seen have flat toped rivets holding the base to the shell. Alex, I would appreciate it if you could post your uberzug pics on the uberzug thread in the pickelhaube discussion section of the forum once the dust has settled here regarding discussion of your tschapka purchase. We do not have any tschapka uberzug pics on this thread. Brian

Back