My Grandfather's Hat

Chaplain Will

Hello to all -

I was searching the web for information when I came across this site, and this is my first post. I'm hoping that someone can help me correctly "ID" this hat. It belonged to my Grandfather who emigrated to the USA in the early 1900's, from his home in Austria. I also have a picture of him in uniform.

Any information about the hat would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chaplain Will
IMG_9800_zps0n7djj6q.jpg

IMG_9802_zpsxejb7b6z.jpg
[/URL]

Welcome to the forum!

That's a nice pairing you have there! Since I know nothing of Austrian militaria (other than WWI steel helmets), I can't help other than to say that the hat is different than the one being worn in the photo. Just out of curiosity, do you know his civilian job in Austria?

:D Ron

poniatowski said:
Welcome to the forum!

That's a nice pairing you have there! Since I know nothing of Austrian militaria (other than WWI steel helmets), I can't help other than to say that the hat is different than the one being worn in the photo. Just out of curiosity, do you know his civilian job in Austria?

:D Ron

Hi Ron:

Thanks for the reply. He was a farmer and a butcher. It was his cousin - my Great Uncle George - that paid his way to come to the USA.

Thanks!
Chaplain Will

Welcome Will, great to have you with us. I can't ID this kepi for you unfortunately, but there will be someone here who knows exactly what this is.

The cockade on the kepi is not something I have ever seen before, the photo is most likely of an infantryman, as he is wearing a sharpshooters lanyard on his left shoulder, the plane epaulettes are an indication, as artillery and cavalry were mounted forces and ware an Akselschnur on the left shoulder.

I maybe wrong, but to me both caps seems different! The one on the pic looks much higher the one you have....
And I can not identify any of them, sorry!
cheers
|<ris

Welcome to the forum Will!

I believe Gus is correct about the photo. Has all the signs of being an Infantry man.

The color photo of the other cap shows that it is a different type of cap or shako than the one in the B&W photo.

If I am not mistaken, are my eyes seeing crossed gold bullion thread hammers embroidered onto the round red wool felt disk on the color photo of your shako? Might this be a Miner's association shako? It's only my guess if that is what the ? "crossed hammers" would stand for. In Germany they use a hammer or crossed hammers in one form or another for their Imperial & 3rd Reich era Miner Association insignia. I tried to do some research on the internet looking for this exact insignia on your shako, but so far I haven't been able to find it yet. It doesn't help that I don't have any Austrian reference books in my library. If Chip sees this thread, he might recognize the shako.

Best Regards,

Alan

Once again - many thanks to all who have replied this fair! That is much appreciated. I've added two more pictures - showing more detail - in hopes that it will help with identifying the hat.
IMG_9806_zpsk6bifjb1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_9807_zpscyllqt0j.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Maybe it is a Fireman's shako?

It could be crossed axes instead of crossed hammers as I had initially thought.

Best Regards,

Alan

I see fire helme over 2 crossed hammers / axes. the helme has a comb on it which would again suggest fireman.

I, too, must agree that this is a Fireman's kepi.
Just my opinion though, could be Miner's guild but I believe that the helmet in the in the crest kinda gives it away. 8)
Rob.

Back