My Great Uncle Walther Starke Ulan 21

Jager

Here is a great picture set of my my great Uncle - Walther Starke from Chemnitz. I knew this man growing up as a kid and still remember his Ulan tattoo on his arm.
I really like this grouping as you can see him full of vim and vigor before the war and then what he looks like after two years of warfare.
I have been looking for a Ulan 21 helmet for years but real examples are exceedingly rare. I do have the Stein but not with his name on the rank list.
Tell me what you think!
Paul

Attachments

• Walter der Ulane 1913.jpg
    Walter der Ulane 1913.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 63
Excellent photos! No one has mentioned his signaller sleeve patch. Thank you for sharing some family history with us.

Here is a great picture set of my my great Uncle - Walther Starke from Chemnitz. I knew this man growing up as a kid and still remember his Ulan tattoo on his arm.
I really like this grouping as you can see him full of vim and vigor before the war and then what he looks like after two years of warfare.
I have been looking for a Ulan 21 helmet for years but real examples are exceedingly rare. I do have the Stein but not with his name on the rank list.
Tell me what you think!
Paul
So , where you in Germany or did he come to the USA ?
IMO the Feldgrau uniform is a killer .Feldgrau shoulder straps with the cypher Super
I am guessing that you are looking for an enlisted helmet for that regiment .
Steve

Tell me what you think!
Paul
Here are my my officers shoulder straps for Saxon U R 21
One officer became a flyer
SteveSaxon U R 21 pair.jpegSaxon U R 21.jpegSaxon Uhlan Regt 21.JPG

Yes an enlisted - so hard to find - I saw I put together job a few years ago, but the real one should have silver trim. Steve , you really have the stuff!
So Walters story is an interesting one. After World War I, he came to this country he wove fancy fringe work for curtains, and dresses and in Germany (pessemunda? In German). He had a falling out with his brother who owns a factory there near Chemnitz. They moved to New York. Their son lived in New York. When he was a teenager he went on a trip back to Germany for visit then ended up getting stuck there and had to serve in the German army during World War II. The father and mother were still here in the states so they were split up as a family during the war. After World War II, the son moved back to the states and took a job with Bosch, then moving to Chicago. I knew them both growing up. I remember Walter always smoking one of the big German pipes.
Both of my parents immigrated from Germany in the late 50s.

Yes an enlisted - so hard to find - I saw I put together job a few years ago, but the real one should have silver trim. Steve , you really have the stuff!
So Walters story is an interesting one. After World War I, he came to this country he wove fancy fringe work for curtains, and dresses and in Germany (pessemunda? In German). He had a falling out with his brother who owns a factory there near Chemnitz. They moved to New York. Their son lived in New York. When he was a teenager he went on a trip back to Germany for visit then ended up getting stuck there and had to serve in the German army during World War II. The father and mother were still here in the states so they were split up as a family during the war. After World War II, the son moved back to the states and took a job with Bosch, then moving to Chicago. I knew them both growing up. I remember Walter always smoking one of the big German pipes.
Both of my parents immigrated from Germany in the late 50s.
Thanks for the very interesting facts
I have seen Saxon officers U R 21 helmets
A collector friend owned one years ago to parade
I think the rabatte was blue?
He later sold all of non-Prussian helmets
I would think that one of the Sanders brothers would have that helmet for an officer also
I can't remember an e m helmet for sale ?
Steve

I couple more pics from Walter - Tony recognize the Epauletten? The first is him in 1917 the second a post card he sent to a family member in 1912.

Attachments

• Scan 33.jpeg
    Scan 33.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Scan 31.jpeg
    Scan 31.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 16
Here are my my officers shoulder straps for Saxon U R 21
One officer became a flyer
SteveView attachment 37014View attachment 37015View attachment 37016
Great officer shoulder boards Steve. Congratulations on acquiring them.

Do you have any enlisted shoulder boards that relate to this thread and the specific Saxon Ulan enlisted cavalryman posting of Paul's ancestor photos which started this thread?

We all know you have a world class Officer shoulder board collection, and it is always nice to see your collection no matter where you decide to post your items.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Great officer shoulder boards Steve. Congratulations on acquiring them.

Do you have any enlisted shoulder boards that relate to this thread and the specific Saxon Ulan enlisted cavalryman posting of Paul's ancestor photos which started this thread?

We all know you have a world class Officer shoulder board collection, and it is always nice to see your collection no matter where you decide to post your items.

Best Wishes,

Alan
Thanks
I will have to look
I did not see any photos on file
Steve

Thanks for the very interesting facts
I have seen Saxon officers U R 21 helmets
A collector friend owned one years ago to parade
I think the rabatte was blue?
He later sold all of non-Prussian helmets
I would think that one of the Sanders brothers would have that helmet for an officer also
I can't remember an e m helmet for sale ?
Steve
Hi Steve,

You are absolutely right. The rabatte is blue.

Here’s a close up.

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Attachments

• 246C91D8-2B26-46ED-A6A9-44A9CB43609A.jpeg
    246C91D8-2B26-46ED-A6A9-44A9CB43609A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
The helmet is rare
but that rabatte is worth it's weight in gold
or more ?
Steve
The UR 21 rabatte is indeed extremely rare. Only one regiment which was established rather late in 1905. I bought mine many years ago together with the tschapka, which unfortunately is not in the best condition, but it is original. 😀

Attachments

• D00337F1-4291-42AE-BF5C-C4DC97AE664A.jpeg
    D00337F1-4291-42AE-BF5C-C4DC97AE664A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 0DD8E602-D984-4D15-AFBB-82E5232E28C3.jpeg
    0DD8E602-D984-4D15-AFBB-82E5232E28C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • EED58157-CFEA-4DF2-B5B0-C9F0D4CC5573.jpeg
    EED58157-CFEA-4DF2-B5B0-C9F0D4CC5573.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
The UR 21 rabatte is indeed extremely rare. Only one regiment which was established rather late in 1905. I bought mine many years ago together with the tschapka, which unfortunately is not in the best condition, but it is original. 😀
Very nice and rare
I think that I see a crown and a cypher inside
was there anyway that you could I D the officer who owned it ?
Steve

Back