My helmet Collection “Prussia”, Helmet M/42

Oldenburg

Valued Community,

today I would like to present from my Prussian helmet collection an officer`s helmet M/1842 in parade design for the I. or II. Bataillon (white hair tufts, darkened over the time) from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Guards Landwehr Regiment.

The four “Garde-Landwehr-Regimenter” each consisted of three battalions divided among different locations. See attached the rank list excerpt from 1849, which reflects the wearing period of the 1842 model.

Mila writes about the headgear on page 291:

”Instead of tchakos, helmets, such as the 2nd Guards Regiment on foot wore at that time; on the helmet eagle was ( also on the officers) the yellow Guards star with applied white Landwehr cross; for parades with the 1st and 2nd Battalions white, with the 3rd Battalion black, with the minstrels red helmet bushes”.

According to the previous owner, the wearer of the helmet should have been a prince from the House of Prussia. Since there is no name indication in the helmet, this statement can unfortunately not be confirmed. However, the helmet and its fittings are elegantly executed, from which it can be assumed that the former wearer paid attention to quality when purchasing the headgear!
It should be noted here that various Princes of Prussia held commanding positions and also “ à la suite” positions in the Guards-Landwehr regiments, and hereby an appreciation was paid to the regiments. Thus we can from the rank lists among other things the prince Albrecht, Georg, Alexander and Friedrich Carl!

For Sandy, the measured data:

- Helmet height including hair bush: 42 cm
- Shell height: 18cm
- Helmet length from front visor to rear visor: 27,5 cm
- Front visor height: 6 cm
- Rear visor height: 6 cm
- Front visor width above 23,5 cm, below 21 cm
- Rear visor width above ca. 21,5 cm, below ca. 20.5 cm.
- Eagle height: 14 cm
- Guards star diameter: 6,5 cm
- (Landwehr) cross: 4 cm
- Weight of the helmet including hair bush: 938 grams
- Leather cockade with painted silver ring: 7 cm

I hope the community likes the idea of the M/42 and remain with best regards,

Frank

Uploading the photos takes just a few minutes…..!

What a great helmet, Frank. Thank you for this nice post and for measuring the helmet for me, I really appreciate it (y):)(y)

Wunderbar. Frank you have posted a spectacular Mod 1842. The quality of the eagle is the top with his gold wappen and the officer cocarde is really a masterpiece. Congrats This is rare beauty.

Back