My latest addition.Landwehr Artillery Officer

Scout2017

Here is my latest acquisition after a little cleaning and polish. A nice 1895 Landwehr Artillery Officers helmet fresh out of Germany. The leather is in pretty good shape and still relatively supple. The fire gold gilt on the Wappen really jumps out now and she's how ready to join the others on display.

Helmet is awesome, looks like a nice OYV liner, I like it a lot.

Tell us more about the broomhandle?

James

Very nice helmet, but this is not a 1895 model. Ovoid shape of the shell, older style officer leather liner: this one can probably be dated any time between 1871 and the 1880's.

Thanks your comments on my new artillery helmet.

The haube was in decent shape when I acquired it. A little dirty, mis-shaped and with tarnished brass when it arrive from Germany. First I reshaped the body using Brian Loree's recommendation and process noted in other posts. Removed most of the brass and Wappen and polished them by hand and cleaned the plate with Hagerty's bringing back the nice fire gilt under years of first and tarnish. Brushed the helmet body off with a horse hair brush and wiped it down with warm soapy water to remove surface dirt. No restitching needed. Where ever this helmet was stored for the last 100 plus years, it hadn't taken a beating from heat or cold or been dried out. After drying a couple of days I gave it a good polishing with black shineola and brushing.

An easy job since there were no cracks or tears in the leather body. As to the Broomhandle, just a late war Mauser Red 9 to dress up the photo.

Looks great! I've never seen one with that type of spike base, a bead on top to step the sides. Very interesting indeed. :)

:D Ron

Sharp eyes there Ron, I missed that :) I have never seen that before either. There always seems to be some new little detail in this Haube trade!

Interesting point about the base as I had not thought about it until you mentioned it and I started comparing them to others. Thank you. J

Back