My latest Restoration Project GDC

Mart Vear

[i/Users/martinvear/Desktop/P1020595.JPGmg]/Users/martinvear/Desktop/P1020598.JPG/Users/martinvear/Desktop/P1020592.JPG

Here's the latest to the GDC collection. Took about 6 months to restore. All the leather was shot, but I managed to find the correct type of tanned leather after sending the fragments to a lab for analysis. All dents fixed and all re-plated. The Chinscales were carefully taken apart, each section labled , cleaned and rebuilt. All the finishes on the leather are original - type of dye used on the liner and the black shelac on the chinscales.

Next project - another GDC on it's way from the USA with a battered Adler, shot liner and incorrect chinscales.

Enjoy the photos,

Martin[/img]

Hey Martin,
Your photos need to be hosted on an on-line web site to be able to post them here. If you need help we are trying to get a tutorial written up, this is the link
http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4690
any feed-back would be appriciated
Best wishes
Gus

DSCN1031.jpg
[/url]

At long last - have sussed out how to use photo-bucket !!!!

Not my GDC but an older picture of my SGR!

Regards,

Martin

P1020598.jpg

P1020592.jpg

Here goes - apologies for the clarity - this was originally an e-bay purchase in a very neglected condition, but after hours of restoration, it was worth it!

Martin

Beautiful! How did you re-silver the star? (or is that tarnish that looks like base metal showing through?)

:D Ron

Hi Ron,

The star, as the adler are plated in a semi frosted silver finish (highlights only lightly polished). On examination of the original plating (what was left of it) there was no evidence of copper bonding plating on the base metal brass. So the restoration is exactly as manufactured.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Martin.

Beautiful helmet. Did you re-plate the skull yourself, or do you know somebody. preferably, in UK who does such things.? I have a friend who wants to get the fittings on a British cavalry officer's helmet re-gilded and can't find anybody who can do it, and I have a silvered/white metal British cavalry helmet which has similar blemishes on the skull to those on your un-restored helmet, and I'd like to get it restored, but, likewise, don't know where to go.

Thanks

Patrick

Thanks!

Yes, I'd like to know who did the plating as well. I have a General a'la Suite with the silver mostly scrubbed from the eagle... the rest is good.

:D Ron

Hi Martin

Just wondering if you can help with the information I asked for in my post of 20 Jan?

Regards

Patrick

Back