My Lowly Pickelhaube.....

Mike9999

Hello Folks -

It's been quite a while since I posted..., mainly because I only have 1 Pickelhaube. Used for display with my Great War German Collection. It will never be a Pickelhaube of the First Degree, but it looks good next to a Gew.98 and Sg.98/05. :)

However, I finally 'completed' it (a year and a half and a hip replacement later) and wanted to share, as it was with the help of Board Members that I, hopefully, got it right.

My apologies for the photos, still working on that end of the camera, but the first photo shows it as originally acquired. I added the original wappen and original kokardes, but finally caved in for a repro chinstrap. I just couldn't justify the '$$$$' I was seeing for originals (as I am always dubious about the originality).

You may recall, but this is a B.A.VIII and 1918F rework. I has a rabbit skin liner, thin as paper and two pieces, that is fully intact.

Well, I hope it is up to specs, and a Heart Thank You to all the folks that contributed their assistance and expertise.

- Best regards! Mike

Pickelhaube1.jpg

Pickelhaube2.jpg

Pickelhaube3.jpg

Pickelhaube4.jpg

What is the inscription on the VB grenade? Let's see so photos of your collection. Do not tease us like this.
Best wishes and happy walding
Gus

Hello Colonel J, and thanks very much for the compliment. I know it pales in comparison, but it 'fills the bill' for my needs.

Isn't that a neat photo, and the matting and frame are spectacular. Local antique shop had it hanging and listed as a 'Band Photo.' They are actually Ulans. The inscription read:

Reserve der 4. Eskadron
Konigl. Bayr.
1. Ulanen Rgt.
Kaiser Wilhelm
Konig von Preussen
1907-10

So..., I believe it is the 4th Squadron of the Bavarian 1st Ulan Regiment, The Kaiser Wilhem II Regiment. I imagine a few of these fellows saw some service.

But will stand to be corrected! :)

Hi Gus!!

Fancy meeting you here! Here's a closeup of the VB Presentation Grenade and another, with the launcher for the M1917 Enfield. It is a presentation piece given out at to 'dignitaries' at a fundraising dinner for for an Aerodrome in Indianapolis. The main speaker was Eddie Rickenbacker!

It was made at the Spacke Machine and Tool Co., where they made motorcycle engines and other assorted goodies. Here's a link to a site about Spacke.

http://www.spacke.com/

See you over at JPS's!!

- Best Regards, Mike

M1917.jpg
[/img]

Yes Hi Mike, I knew I didn't like you, welcome here, if you have any questions about helmets, there are not many that can not be answered here, this is a great bunch of collectors, although I think I am not the only one who's mental stability has been affected by the fumes given of by these great artifacts.
I thought I had seen tha VB before, I picked up a relic cup, but I have not added a VB to the collection yet, but I do have a cool Russian grenade coming from Poland soon.
Best wihses
Gsu

Back