My most faithful friend has passed away

Liongules

My miniature Pomeranian, Minnie, passed away this morning shortly before breakfast. She was 17. My wife and I had bought her as a gift for my mother-in-law when she was dying of cancer. She then became my father-in-law's dog until he passed away eleven years ago and she became mine. I miss her terribly already.

minnie14ww6.jpg

Oh no! Mike, I am so very very sorry. She was 17? My wife and I have no human kids, so we pour all of that affection on "The Tubes". In my case, I was never allowed to have a dog (or pet of any sort) when I was growing up, so I did not get my 'puppy' until I was 37 and boy, did I make up for lost time by spoiling him rotten. And then Nina just as much, (possibly worse).

So I am afraid I cannot say "I know how you feel" as honestly, I do not,
although we came close last fall.

So I can only imagine how you must feel and it makes my heart sink thinking about it. I am truly sorry for you.

Tony

Tony,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I have to admit it wasn't unexpected, her health had been declining rapidly over the last couple of weeks, but it still hurts very much.

I often referred to her as my fourth child.

Hey Mike,
I am very sorry, I do know how you feel. We lost my little cow dog about a year ago to cancer, she was only 13. She was a pain in the butt because we cound not leave her alone, as she was a two person dog, and would not allow others to take care of her. The first time we were hosted at SOS by Chas and Donna was the only time we tried to do so, and as all The SOS crowd knows, we drove to the show since, so we could take Trzy with us. An animal like that is like a child that does not grow up and move away (in a good way, not like the 30 year old son still living in the basement). People who have not had a faithfull pet will often tell you "just get another dog". Do not let these comments bother you, just know that these people have not had such a friend, so they can not understand.
Best wishes
Gus

Mike
My deepest sympathy and my thoughts are with you, I lost my little dog Holly two years ago and I miss her terribly.
Take care Stu
h1yc6.jpg

Dear Mike:

Having lost our faithful Andy, a Large Munsterlander, to canine osteosarcoma on September 13, 2006, I can well understand your loss and grief. Having lost two dogs from my childhood, one to lightning and one to cancer, I vowed never again.

In August, 2007, my wife, Donna, saw and fell in love with a Wire Fox Terrier puppy whom we now know as "Nicky." Nicky makes any day seem a bit brighter.

You may find the following of comfort:

http://www.superdog.com/petloss/lastwill.htm

Minnie, Trzy, Holly, and Andy are most likely romping and sharing memories in Doggy Valhalla.

Chas.

Andy (1998-2006)

Andy-copy.jpg

Andy.jpg

Nicky

Nicky.jpg

Lost Skeleton said:
You may find the following of comfort:

http://www.superdog.com/petloss/lastwill.htm

That was brutal....I had to close that half way through, and come back later to try and finish it....took me three tries to get through it. I am going to be a wreak when I lose Kaiser. I can barely type the thought...I remember when Andy had to cross the Rainbow Bridge far too early. Can't imagine.

Well, Tony, I did manage to get through it, but it took some time and I had to take several breaks to dry my eyes!

Thanks, Chas, although hard to read, it was a beautiful piece.

Hi Mike:

After Andy was put down, a friend lent me the O'Neill testament in book form. Rereading it online this morning brought back a wave of emotions, and I found myself bawling like an infant. The second photo above (Andy seated on the driveway was taken the last day).

Andy was so stoic, and never gave us a clue as to how ill he was. He was diagnosed on September 11th. What appeared to us to be nothing more than a slight, persistent limp, turned out to be raging cancer in his right hind leg. The tumor was so advanced our vet knew it had already metastasized.

We had a brief two days for a farewell tour, visiting his favorite people and places. When I look at the pictures taken in his last hours, I still find it hard to believe.

2Andy.jpg

...Sorry for being cathartic.

Chas.

Tony & Kaiser said:
Lost Skeleton said:
..Sorry for being cathartic.

Don't be, Mike needs that right now. Mike, the house must seem empty?
Tony,

Yes, it does. My wife quickly removed all the visual things, the big, fluffy towel she slept on, her water bowl, but she's still there. I'm out of town on a business trip right now and when I was talking to my wife last night on the phone I would have sworn I heard her bark in the background! My ears playing tricks on me.

With her gone it's not only sad, it changes the routines of the day. She had gotten to the point where she couldn't walk so every morning the first thing I'd do is wake her up, take her outside and hold her up so she could take care of busness. I'd then stand outside for a while holding her because she still seemed to like to smell the breeze. Back inside, I'd have to bring her her water bowl and put in right in front of her nose so she could find it. Feeding her was the same. I know some people may think we were cruel for not having her put down, but my wife and I talked about it several times and neither one of us was strong enough to do that to her. She died only minutes after our last outing together in the morning. It was very cool and quite windy. She had her last smell of the wind, some water, I put her back on her towel so she could go back to sleep and twenty minutes later she was gone.

I truly thank everyone here for your kindness.

Back