My new evil twins :-)

charly239

Hallo all

today my EM spike helmet with cover came across and another EM not field grey

the überzug have 5 Hooks and leather applications in the removable top and the chinstrap holes.
Chinstrap have an old repair stitch...the eagles is fitted with leather sticks and washers , is this ok? , no double holes
the rear visor is made by thin leather.there are no markings in the überzug or helmet.

The second spike is named with Clemen and the eagle is fitted with screws....one is missing. your opinion in this case pls, let it be or restore the screw?

Pls enjoy the pictures

Tom

The naked, taller helmet is a typical 1891 model, of which it exhibits all attributes, including the cockade (the outer black rim is somehow bulkier and larger than on later models). The spike may rotate to close the holes in the neck. Check it. This system was used before an aerator was placed in the rear spine, from 1895. An excellent, genuine helmet all around. The fact it was attributed to a Fusilier regiment also adds something.

Looks like you did well. Is the front (and maybe rear?) visor on the M15 fiber? If so, I'd be interested in seeing the stitching under the chin strap.

:D Ron

Hallo

the spike is rotor able , the rear visor is marked with FR 80 1893

The front Visor is not made by fiber

Tom

charly239 said:
Hallo

The front Visor is not made by fiber

Tom

Oh well, was hoping! It's always cool to find those 'mixed' bodies on M15's. Anyway, I have never seen a black inside on the front visor, perhaps they reversed one and re-lacquered the outside for some reason when they rebuilt the helmet? I don't know. Interesting though!

:D Ron

Fine pair !
The cover's cut-outs for the sideposts and chinstrap are nicely shown. Thank you.
I never had such an Ueberzug in my hands.
So I'm glad to learn things all the time.
Rgds,
Francis

Very nice, congratulations Tom! The only problem I see, is that the M15 chin strap has been reversed by the person who stitched it back together. Chin straps always have the "hair" (smooth) side on the outside and the "flesh" side on the inside towards the helmet shell. Look at your M91 strap, it is how it should be. As an aside for our newer collectors, the helmet shells and visors were made with the flesh side of the cow hide out, this is why the interiors are so smooth...hair side in, flesh side out. The reason for this as can be seen on the M15 strap...... look at how "hairy" it looks compared to the M91 has to do with the shellac finish. The shellac which was sprayed on sticks to the thousands of little hairs on the flesh side.
Very cool markings and very nice to have a helme marked to a Fusilier Regt.

Back